• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG players who were terrible fielders?

smash84

The Tiger King
Heard Imran Khan being described as a pretty ordinary fielder.

Glenn McGrath started off bloody ordinary, and ended up being serviceable.
This.

I think Imran's fielding went downhill pretty quickly once he became captain. Always put himself on mid on and even then managed to be bad at times :p. He was decent when he came in though. I guess being Captain and strike bowler he could afford to field wherever he wanted to. Didn't forgive any misfields or chances from others though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Only remember him at the end, so he may have been livelier earlier on but Courtney Walsh hardly broke a sweat in the outfield. Stationed at fine-leg and he use to underarm it back to the keeper.
Courtney was pretty ordinary, and I think perhaps his shoulder didnt allow him to throw overarm from the boundary?

Curtly Ambrose was often just plain lazy and petulant about it.

Damian Martyn was one whose fluency with the bat didnt seem to transfer to the field. Was a bit mediocre. Not terrible, but nothing great. Slater too from memory.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Allan Boredom warrants a mention...but only if you're crazy enough to think he was atg
You kidding? Border was a gun slipper, and probably the best mid wicket I've seen bar Clive Lloyd. He owned that position. Unreal anticipation and an ability to throw the stumps down like few others.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Won't be dignifying the boor's comments re Border's fielding with a response.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Murali was always a pretty good outfielder, safe set of hands against anything that got skied.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Courtney was pretty ordinary, and I think perhaps his shoulder didnt allow him to throw overarm from the boundary?

Curtly Ambrose was often just plain lazy and petulant about it.

Damian Martyn was one whose fluency with the bat didnt seem to transfer to the field. Was a bit mediocre. Not terrible, but nothing great. Slater too from memory.
Agree on Ambrose – incredibly lazy at times in the field when Windies toured Oz in 1996/97.

And Slater was pretty bad, one of the very few weak fielders in a generally outstanding Oz fielding side of the late 90s/early 00s. Don’t remember much of Martyn as a fielder; think he did his job.

While not an ATG, in terms of quality Oz Test players over the past few decades probably the worst was MacGill. When McGrath took his hat-trick, it was amazing that Macgill was actually in the slips cordon and not surprising he almost messed up the Lara catch.

Seen McGrath mentioned a few times here and tbh thought he was pretty good all things considered. In terms of fast bowling teammates I’d rate him ahead of Gillespie.