• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World Test XI for all conditions as of December 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All this recent discussion in the tour threads, along with the multiple Kohli/The Fab 4/KW average threads etc etc.

Let's see everyone's current Test XI's assuming you're picking for a perfect Test pitch, that's conducive to all types of bowling. i.e. Good for pace, swing & seam & good for spin later on.

Assume you're picking picking 3 pace bowlers, an allrounder & perhaps 2 spinners, but you decide.

Zinzan

Let's also assume those current injured players like Steyn and AB are all fit to play, even if you decide recent form might count against them.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to include all 4 of the big four honestly, order could easily change

De Kock +
Warner
KW
Smith
Root
Kohli *
Ashwin
Philander
Starc
Broad
Steyn

Zinzan

Have to include all 4 of the big four honestly, order could easily change

De Kock +
Warner
KW
Smith
Root
Kohli *
Ashwin
Philander
Starc
Broad
Steyn
Some interesting calls, especially leaving out Cook for de Kock, but lots to like about that XI and agree Kohli has to be skipper currently.

harsh.ag

Vijay
Warner/KW
Root
Kohli
Smith
Stokes
QdK +
Ashwin
Broad
Starc
Steyn/Rabada

Last edited:

mr_mister

Maybe Amir with some players who can catch is suddenly worth more value in this discussion as well

Daemon

Chandrika
Guptill
Duckett
Ballance
van Zyl
Nevill +
Ansari
Tiripano
Bracewell
Mennie
Kamrul Islam

Julian87

State Captain
I don't really think it's above board to pick a bloke scoring his runs at 7 to open in this side because he does so against the white ball.

Zinzan

Vijay
Warner/KW
Root
Kohli
Smith
Stokes
QdK +
Ashwin
Broad
Starc
Steyn/Rabada
Mine...

Warner
Vijay
Root
Smith
Kohli*
QDK+
Ashwin
Philander
Steyn
Herath
Anderson

Unlucky to miss out;

Cook - Probably past his best and Warner and Vijay deserve their spots

Stokes - Would probably play him ahead of Ashwin on a non-SC track, but I did make the conditions to suit 2 spinners.

Jajeda/Shah - both unlucky in the spin department and next cabs off the ranks.

KW - you can't make him a manufactured opener ahead of Warner & Vijay IMO, & and having QDK keeping and batting at 6 gives me so many bowling options.

Broad/Starc/Rabada/Hazelwood/Boult/Abbott/ Woakes//Wagner, take your pick as back-up pacers, all been very good in the last couple of years.

I really should have just done a 2nd XI as well. I might shortly.

Zinzan

I don't really think it's above board to pick a bloke scoring his runs at 7 to open in this side because he does so against the white ball.
I agree, although he did really well against NZ when forced to open at the last minute on a seaming deck recently, but I have him at 6, which is a real luxury and you don't lose any batting.

Zinzan

Mine...

Warner
Vijay
Root
Smith
Kohli*
QDK+
Ashwin
Philander
Steyn
Herath
Anderson
My 2nd XI

Cook*
Braithwaite
Williamson
Rahane
Stokes
Bairstow+
Jadeja
Broad
Rabada
Shah
Hazelwood

Starc, Woakes, Wagner & Boult unlucky

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
1. Cook
2. Warner
3. Williamson
4. Root
5. Kohli
6. Smith
7. De Kock+
8. Ashwin
9. Starc
10. Broad
11. Rabada

Spikey

i think it's in the laws that any world xi has to have a weird opener

Gnske

Warner
Vijay
Williamson
Smith
Root
Stokes
de Kock
Ashwin
Starc
Rabada
Anderson

Starc edges out Philander for me based on who has feigned illness to escape the least amount of test matches.

Zinzan

Warner
Vijay
Williamson
Smith
Root
Stokes
de Kock
Ashwin
Starc
Rabada
Anderson

Starc edges out Philander for me based on who has feigned illness to escape the least amount of test matches.
Good side even though the pitch was to suit 3 seamers & two spinners :p you rebel you.

Gnske

Smith's disgusting full tosses and Kane's chucks more than fill the void of a 2nd spinner.