• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World Test XI for all conditions as of December 2016

listento_me

U19 Captain
still not even fully convinced by Yasir

feels like he gets hit for 100 runs off his bowling every innings atm

I know he always bags a lot of wickets but still they come at a heavy price

6-130 isnt that impressive if the team still puts on 400
It might seem like that recently but he's only gone for a 100+ runs 6 times I think in 39 innings. He's also taken a 5 for a hundred or more runs twice I think. I kinda skimmed through his numbers but that's what it looks like.

I think his recent form is foremost in our memories but he is still only averaging 27 with a pretty good sr. So he is doing really well. Hopefully the many runs/wickets does not become the norm.

Justo

U19 Debutant
I'd go with the below.

Warner
Vijay
Williamson
Root
Smith
Kohli (c)
Bairstow (+)
Starc
Broad
Steyn
Herath

Can pretty much swap the fab 4 around as desired. Second opener was tough and it's tempting to stick Root there and go for ABdV or an all rounder at 6. Bairstow gets the gloves simply by being excellent recently. Ashwin is unlucky but this line up is supposed to be an all conditions line up and Herath is better suited for that IMO. Steyn and Starc are pretty much locks for me but third seamer was tricky (Broad, Philander, Rabada, Hazlewood are all pretty even IMO). Don't see a great need for a 5th bowler with each of the fab 4 being able to bowl part time at some level.

cnerd123

likes this
Yasir Shah gets a lot of free passes here. His away record is non-existent.
No current spinner has a good away record.

I went with Yasir cuz I wanted a leggie to compliment Ashwin + he can field. Could have gone with Herath or Jadeja too tbf. If there was a decent non-Asian spinner who turned the ball away I'd rather pick him; helps balance the spin attack for the 'all-conditions' bit.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This is a very impressive video. After watching that, I was convinced that Shah is a top-class bowler. I haven't watched much of him in live matches but hope I can catch some spells against Australia.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf you could watch a wickets compilation of Sreesanth and it would make him look world class.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With 2016 performances weighted heavily:

1. Kraigg Brathwaite
2. Azhar Ali
3. Joe Root
4. Steve Smith
5. Virat Kohli
6. Ben Stokes
7. Jonny Bairstow
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Rangana Herath
11. Kagiso Rabada

Gob

International Coach
Thread title and the OP is bit confusing. After reading the thread title i thought this is about picking a team to play unchanged in all conditions but OP suggests its about picking a team to play on what you call an ideal test pitch. Wouldn't have picked Warner if its the former type of team

Warner
Cook
Root
Kohli
Smith
DeVilliers
Stokes
Starc
Steyn
Broad
Yasir