• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli average watch thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
nothing compares to the weirdness of Gustavo Kuerten's record tho

literally won it 3 times and did nothing at the other majors

proof Clay Court tennis is some weird niche skill
It used to be a weird skill. Now its not. The best players win on clay now.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dude Fed could still beat most on clay, Raf was just some weird autistic savant at clay

Raf crashed out of the other majors in the early rounds against nobodies more times than I care to remember

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
dude Fed could still beat most on clay, Raf was just some weird autistic savant at clay

Raf crashed out of the other majors in the early rounds against nobodies more times than I care to remember
That's got nothing to do with my post if you were replying to me.

Just saying the best players in the world now make the French finals - Novak, Murray, Stan. BAck in the day it was Rafa and Fed.

Its no longer a lottery.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The big 4 in tennis and the big 4 in cricket are quite similar in that fans are just unable to appreciate all 4 for some reason. Always want to tear the other 3 down.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah but I called out OS being wrong about the pitch today and you being right so I've already had your back today.

Rootfan

Banned

Federer had his fair share of bad losses too. He lost to Ancic in R1 of Wimbledon FFS. However, Rafa took down Federer in federer's yard at Wimbledon and followed it up by destroying him at AO he also took down Djokovic twice in USO finals. Yet they couldn't even touch him at RG(yes I know Djokovic beat Nadal's shell there last year). Federer couldn't even get to 5 sets vs Nadal once at RG.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The irrational anti-Steve Smith attitude on this forum is as strong as ever. Say what you want about his on-field demeanor but some fans and posters here seem to get off on making statements that he "isn't as good as so and so" for some inexplicable reason.
Pretty sure that's just paranoia on your part tbh.

As far as I can tell almost everyone on the forum seems to rate Smith as one of the best 3-4 Test bats in the world. So unless you're arguing that he should be held up as the undisputed number 1 or as the best ODI or T20 bat or something like that, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Perhaps you could cite some of the posts or posters.

Slifer

International Captain
Smith is Nadalesque. Not great to watch but the best record in terms of completeness. Root is Federer. Rated the best by most but if you dig deep there are holes. Djokovic is probably Kohli like. Ruthlessly effective and either loved or hated!
Nadals GS are predominantly French opens and most of his masters wins are on clay. The Djoker easily has the most complete tennis resume. Won every serious tennis event barring the Olympics and Cincinnati. Also, he has a winning record vs all his rivals.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Federer had his fair share of bad losses too. He lost to Ancic in R1 of Wimbledon FFS. However, Rafa took down Federer in federer's yard at Wimbledon and followed it up by destroying him at AO he also took down Djokovic twice in USO finals. Yet they couldn't even touch him at RG(yes I know Djokovic beat Nadal's shell there last year). Federer couldn't even get to 5 sets vs Nadal once at RG.
we'l have to agree to disagree

and to Jono, a big difference between the big 4s is that the tennis one has Murray in clear 4th place. There's no equiv with cricket... some would say Kohli in tests before his last 5-6 of them though, lol

Rootfan

Banned
Nadals GS are predominantly French opens and most of his masters wins are on clay. The Djoker easily has the most complete tennis resume. Won every serious tennis event barring the Olympics and Cincinnati. Also, he has a winning record vs all his rivals.
Djokovic has not won Hamburg and has a 4-9 record vs Nadal at GS.

cnerd123

likes this
Did I log into TennisWeb today? This is a thread about one of the greatest players alive in the the greatest sport of all time. Why are we all discussing nobodies of an inferior sport?

Slifer

International Captain
Djokovic has not won Hamburg and has a 4-9 record vs Nadal at GS.
Hamburg stopped being a masters years ago, 2009 to be exact when The Djoker was just beginning his rise. Still doesn't change the fact that the Djoker has a winning record vs Nadal and has won everything in tennis bar Cincy and Olympic gold. Djoker has 30 (the most) masters 1000s spread across nicely over different surfaces, Nadals are mostly clay. Nadal has never won the tennis masters cup, Miami, and I'm pretty sure he's also missing either shanghai hai or Paris.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but he's got a gold, and on hard court. You can't ignore that neither Fed or Novak have that.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Olympics counts for much more than a Masters 1000. WTF is easily the harder and more prestigious tournament to win.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah but he's got a gold, and on hard court. You can't ignore that neither Fed or Novak have that.
...but fed and Djoker have multiple world tour finals, you know the tournament where the top 9 men compete at the end of the year. The tournament that has the most ranking points outside of the GS. Nadal has zero to the Djokers 5.