• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli average watch thread

Rootfan

Banned
Yeah fair call, but (and I could be wrong) I don't think AB or Warner ever strung it together in all 3 formats for a long period like Kohli has. When Warner was gunning it in tests his ODI game wasn't there........and now it's gone vice versa.

This may be a really dumb question but I don't follow the format that closely......but has ABDv done much impressive in T20?
Abd is a failure in international T20. Very mediocre by his standards.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's what I thought. Though tbf when talking T20 I guess you do have to take the leagues into consideration.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah fair call, but (and I could be wrong) I don't think AB or Warner ever strung it together in all 3 formats for a long period like Kohli has. When Warner was gunning it in tests his ODI game wasn't there........and now it's gone vice versa.

This may be a really dumb question but I don't follow the format that closely......but has ABDv done much impressive in T20?
The 2016 IPL was all about Kohli, obviously, but fair to say AB had a handy tournament

Rootfan

Banned
Come on, we cannot count IPL stats and stuff. Across formats implicitly means internationals only. I say that as a big AB fan btw.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes that's certainly "handy" by ABDV........but that table does nothing to disprove my comment that Kohli is head and shoulders above the rest. If ABDV was "handy" then Kohli was outright ****ing ridiculous.

Zinzan

Come on, we cannot count IPL stats and stuff. Across formats implicitly means internationals only. I say that as a big AB fan btw.
Disagree, I think IPL numbers are as credible as international T20s to be perfectly honest.

Day in Day out, 4 of the best overseas players on the planet, and at least 3-4 international class Indian players.

I'd argue an IPL hundred is every bit as tough as a T20I hundred against half the international attacks out there.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
In test and OD's I'd agree but I think in T20's it's relevant given that International T20's are just a **** in general.

Zinzan

Yes that's certainly "handy" by ABDV........but that table does nothing to disprove my comment that Kohli is head and shoulders above the rest. If ABDV was "handy" then Kohli was outright ****ing ridiculous.
Well obviously it was Kohli's IPL this year, nobody's arguing with that. Do remember AB batted further down the order in Kohli's team, hence to lower number of runs, and he was more of the enforcer, hence a SR 17 higher.

Rootfan

Banned
Disagree, I think IPL numbers are as credible as international T20s to be perfectly honest.

Day in Day out, 4 of the best overseas players on the planet, and at least 3-4 international class Indian players.

I'd argue an IPL hundred is every bit as tough as a T20I hundred against half the international attacks out there.
That's a different argument though. If we're going to rate innings based on difficulty then we'd have to include first class stats too especislly for the Aussie guys who on average face much tougher attacks in shield cricket than they do vs WI, Bangladesh for example. Fair enough if you want to include every match but to me only internationals are important.

OverratedSanity

In test and OD's I'd agree but I think in T20's it's relevant given that International T20's are just a **** in general.
Inclined to agree but then I remembered how much fun the world t20 was. Frankly I thought it was better than the 2015 WC. Quality was pretty high too... that Amir vs Kohli battle was amazing.

Zinzan

That's a different argument though. If we're going to rate innings based on difficulty then we'd have to include first class stats too especislly for the Aussie guys who on average face much tougher attacks in shield cricket than they do vs WI, Bangladesh for example. Fair enough if you want to include every match but to me only internationals are important.
No see I'd never use it for FC cricket, because only in some exception circumstances would there be a tougher FC level game than Test level game (example, perhaps New South Wales FC level & facing Zim's attack in tests).

The distinction is all the teams in the IPL have 4 of the best 25 or so international players in the world & 3-4 international class Indian players in the opposition, hence why I argue an IPL hundred would generally be against tougher bowling attacks than your average T20I sides. I couldn't say that about general FC cricket or List A one dayers.

It's not that hard to see the difference between an elite competition like the IPL & generic FC/List A/T20 is it?

Last edited:

Rootfan

Banned
No see I'd never use it for FC cricket, because only in some exception circumstances would there be a tougher FC level game than Test level game (example, perhaps New South Wales vs. Zim in tests).

The distinction between that and the IPL, is all the teams in the IPL have what I pointed out in the opposition, 4 of the best 25 or so international players in the world & 3-4 international class Indian players, hence why I argue an IPL hundred would generally be against tougher bowling attacks than your average T20I sides. I couldn't say that about general FC cricket or List A one dayers.

It's not that hard to see the difference between an elite competition & generic FC/List A/T20 is it?
Bangladesh in tests away from home and WI anywhere(UAE win notwithstanding) are club standard test sides and considerably worse than a number of FC sides.

Zinzan

Bangladesh in tests away from home and WI anywhere(UAE win notwithstanding) are club standard test sides and considerably worse than a number of FC sides.
Lol, I think you get the difference between IPL level, where International star players like Morgan & Williamson could hardly even get a match for their IPL club, so I won't insult your intelligence by trying to justify it any further.

Rootfan

Banned
Lol, I think you get the difference between IPL level, where International star players like Morgan & Williamson could hardly even get a match for their IPL club, so I won't insult your intelligence by trying to justify it any further.
Glenn McGrath and Ricky Ponting were dropped in the IPL. Williamson didn't get a game because he was atrocious. Morgan sucked as well for the most part.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah come on Rootie.........T20 is a whole different monster when talking these league comps. The IPL and BBL (don't know much about the others) have some of the best players in the world competing. Outside of the World T20 most International T20 sides are a joke and most International T20 matches are a meaningless hit and giggle exercise not to be taken seriously.

If you want to restrict it to Internationals to rate a players T20 worth then really you can only look at the World Cup (or whatever the **** they call it)

Edit:

I'd place far more weight on what Kohli has done in the IPL than I would in what he might do in the 2 or 3 T20I's he might play at the end of the tour against England for eg.

Last edited:

Rootfan

Banned
Yeah come on Rootie.........T20 is a whole different monster when talking these league comps. The IPL and BBL (don't know much about the others) have some of the best players in the world competing. Outside of the World T20 most International T20 sides are a joke and most International T20 matches are a meaningless hit and giggle exercise not to be taken seriously.

If you want to restrict it to Internationals to rate a players T20 worth then really you can only look at the World Cup (or whatever the **** they call it)

Edit:

I'd place far more weight on what Kohli has done in the IPL than I would in what he might do in the 2 or 3 T20I's he might play at the end of the tour against England for eg.
I am talking about this year and this year had the world t20. For all his brilliance in the IPL AbD went missing in the world t20.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I am talking about this year and this year had the world t20. For all his brilliance in the IPL AbD went missing in the world t20.
And that's certainly a valid reason to mark him down a notch or two. Mine (and I think zinzans) point is that what he did in the IPL though is certainly still relevant when rating him.

But clearly since Kohli gunned the WC and the IPL then he is well in front of ABDV in terms of T20 worth.

Zinzan

Glenn McGrath and Ricky Ponting were dropped in the IPL. Williamson didn't get a game because he was atrocious. Morgan sucked as well for the most part.
Pleased you're now getting it & are emphasizing the point yourself. The IPL is toughest T20 comp in the world. Just imagine McGrath or Ponting ever been dropped by their FC/List A side while they were playing.