• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He's moving, but not standing at this stage. Looks like a fairly bad concussion from a far. Would be dubious for him to attempt to return to the crease later on after that, in fact I highly doubt the medical people would allow it.
Okay thanks. I'd feel a bit uneasy if we win the test from here - any chance of rain???

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Getting hit right on the side of the helmet screws with you bigtime, because it rattles your head in a manner that isn't usual.

Unfortunately though, if you're willing to pepper the opposition tail with bouncers like they did Wagner, you're going to get them back in good spades, but that was batting error, the ball was too full to duck.
Hate to break it to you but NZ bowl bouncers to lower order batsmen too and Wagner is the worst for it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm kind of resigned to the fact that Southee and Boult would never be rested/dropped regardless of how they bowl tbh. Timmy in particular seems as if he's entitled to play for NZ for as long as he pleases, that's certainly the impression. Because he's Tim Southee.
But who are you seriously suggesting he be replaced with. Bracewell is not up to it, Milne is permainjured, Henry got a chance to have a bowl-off with Tim against Pakistan and only managed to confirm how far off the pace he is.

So then you start casting around for fresh faces. But Kugz is unavailable this season (and possibly forever depending on the outcome of his trial). Ferguson obviously lacks the fitness and control for test cricket. Jamieson has about 1/2 of a good season under his belt. Nuttall has gone to **** (and picking him would lead to a very samey looking NZ attack). Wheeler is a poor man's Boult. And once you're through those guys you're down to people like Arnel and Bennett.

I'd love there to be some real competition for Southee's place - more than anything because Southee's always been at his best after somebody's lit a fire under his arse. But it just isn't there atm.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Yeah, I'm kinda nervous about what the consequences of this strategy will be once Morkel and Rabada are coming at us in March.
Oh, you mean like when he did it against RSA at home, and hooked Steyn for repeated sixes when they tried it to him?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So if Mushfiqur is ruled to be concussed, don't the new playing conditions mean Bangladesh can replace him? Or has that rule not come in yet?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair play to the Bangers if they hang on here, notwithstanding the big first innings score they put together. They've had some terrible luck with injuries mid-match, so this would be a big effort on their part.

DriveClub

International Regular
Another reason why you should never declare in your first innings, my argument against 1st inning declaration gaining momentum every test, teams like bd, pak who are collapse prone should safe guard themselves against 2nd inning collapses when they're playing away instead of listening to jackasses like ian chappell and throwing away a test

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, you mean like when he did it against RSA at home, and hooked Steyn for repeated sixes when they tried it to him?
That time when Kane was battling hard for a century and needed someone to stick with him, and Wagner responded by having a Southee-esque wog that ended after 5 or 6 overs? Which is totally OK when Wagner does it because reasons.

And that's setting aside the fact that Wagner was just got clonked on the head 3 times by a couple of medium pacers.

Tbf, I don't think SA will have any problems getting this batting lineup out with conventional bowling, so yeah it is unlikely to be an issue.

Last edited: