Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 118 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 3378
Like Tree1285Likes

Thread: *Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    BD definitely stopped being ODI minnows around 2005-2007 fwiw. They were starting to win games more frequently, knocked India out the WC, and were showing genuine progress that had everyone hyped. Then they lost some players to the ICL, developed a choking streak, and regressed a bit before correcting themselves at around 2010. But they did shed the 'minnow' tag in ODIs during that time.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Probably the lowest single point in Australian cricket history tbh. The difference, I think, is that Australians and their cricket team alike consider consider results like that unacceptable. When countries like SL and NZ suffer those results overseas they just shrug their shoulders and accept it. You hope Bangladesh, as they develop, don't settle for that sort of dross from their side.
    Do losses in India and UAE count?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    They would be if they went there now. They're worse than us, and we are far from very good.
    Our last visit there was a 1-1 draw & SL were a better side then than now. I'm sure you would have said the same when NZ visited UAE to play Pakistan after you guys were whitewashed by them in late 2014, but NZ drew that series 1-1 as well,

NZ were horrendous against a very strong Indian side & have played awful Test cricket for 18 months or so now, but let's not pretend Australia have generally been a better SC touring side than NZ in the last 5 years or so, that would be silly.
    Last edited by Zinzan; 13-01-2017 at 01:22 AM.
    indiaholic likes this.

International Regular
    They would be if they went there now. They're worse than us, and we are far from very good.
    It was 1-1 last time we went (just like our tour to the UAE). India aside, NZ is much better going to Asia than to Aus or SAf.

EDIT: What Zinzan said

International Regular
    Probably the lowest single point in Australian cricket history tbh. The difference, I think, is that Australians and their cricket team alike consider consider results like that unacceptable. When countries like SL and NZ suffer those results overseas they just shrug their shoulders and accept it. You hope Bangladesh, as they develop, don't settle for that sort of dross from their side.
    I guess in that way, Australians and their cricket team are like a poor man's version of NZers and the All Blacks. We lost to Ireland for the first time ever last year (after about 111 years of playing them) and I'm still annoyed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    BD definitely stopped being ODI minnows around 2005-2007 fwiw. They were starting to win games more frequently, knocked India out the WC, and were showing genuine progress that had everyone hyped. Then they lost some players to the ICL, developed a choking streak, and regressed a bit before correcting themselves at around 2010. But they did shed the 'minnow' tag in ODIs during that time.
    And their very competitive showing vs Australia in that Test I referred to in 2006? I mean I know they didn't quite win and probably squandered opportunities after being on top, but boy they were competitive, so they can't have been minnows back in 2006 after all right? Same logic.

Vettori would be happy to learn this fact retrospectively btw, because his cheap returns vs. Bangers in the mid/late 2000s were always kind of overlooked as being against a minnow.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Tbf, I may be wrong, but I don't think NZ have ever been decimated 3-0 by SL.
    I'm sure NZ must have been whitewashed around 2006-2010 period in SL or they must have only played 2 tests and lost 2-0

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    I guess in that way, Australians and their cricket team are like a poor man's version of NZers and the All Blacks. We lost to Ireland for the first time ever last year (after about 111 years of playing them) and I'm still annoyed about it.
    Probably a good parallel that.

Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    I'm sure NZ must have been whitewashed around 2006-2010 period in SL or they must have only played 2 tests and lost 2-0
    Best they achieved was a 2-0 margin in 2009. Every other tour NZ have at the vert least drawn matches.

While we're on minnow classification. it's always kind of irked me slightly that NZ have been minnow-like on several occasions in their Test history, yet overseas fans wouldn't dare want to remove some of their favourite players records against us, when we were genuinely 'minnow-like'.

There was a period around 1995 in particular when NZ were so bad they even lost to the other weakest side in the world around that time, Sri Lanka in their own backyard. Some of us are old enough to remember our disastrous centenary year.

Wtf just happened?

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    While we're on minnow classification. it's always kind of irked me slightly that NZ have been minnow-like on several occasions in their Test history, yet overseas fans wouldn't dare want to remove some of their favourite players records against us, when we were genuinely 'minnow-like'.

There was a period around 1995 in particular when NZ were so bad they even lost to the other weakest side in the world around that time, Sri Lanka in their own backyard. Some of us are old enough to remember our disastrous centenary year.
    Surprisingly we have never lost to Zimbabwe when India (twice) and Pakistan (three times) have. Zimbabwe had a pretty decent side in the mid to late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    Surprisingly we have never lost to Zimbabwe when India (twice) and Pakistan (three times) have. Zimbabwe had a pretty decent side in the mid to late 90s.
    Actually, we always seemed to thrive in playing Zim & Bang, especially in the 2000s, and we were actually real minnow bashers for a time, while other sides like Pakistan & India would drop their bundles against weak opposition, our guys were at their best. Nobody better than Vettori when he sniffed a slightly sub-par batting line-up. Jeez did he used to carve up Bangers in particular, and on any pitches.
    Last edited by Zinzan; 13-01-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Nice one Bangladesh. Knew they would improve away from home but wasn't expecting it so soon.

Zorax, still waiting for your answer on whether we should have removed the Test minnow tag from Bangers back in 2006, when they played such a competitive cricket Test against the then number 1 side in the world, Australia.

Thread Information