• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many instances of a team making 550+ in the first innings and losing? It happened a couple of times in Adelaide in the last decade. Would be pretty soul-destroying for Bangladesh, I really hope they can draw this game.

cricman

International 12th Man
Get as many effing runs as possible.

The batsmen aren't equipped to handle this short pitch barrage

morgieb

How many instances of a team making 550+ in the first innings and losing? It happened a couple of times in Adelaide in the last decade. Would be pretty soul-destroying for Bangladesh, I really hope they can draw this game.
Happened 3 times in the past. Highest first innings score to lose is 586.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's the strangest thing that CM Punk stopped posting during the last half hour. It's almost like he's got nothing to contribute to the forum besides spamming the same 3 or 4 posts until our collective eyes bleed.

Blocky

Banned
Despite obvious allegiances, I do too - they outplayed NZ and to lose on the basis of a couple bad sessions of cricket and some injuries that restricted their batting line up wouldn't be a fair representation of the game. I also want the decision not to set up an attacking declaration to come back and haunt us, in saying that, NZ Cricket often lose matches due to one poor session too so to see them win because of the same thing would be nice for a change.

Things in Bangladesh's favor is that three of our five mainline bowlers don't look threatening at all on this wicket, and Santner doesn't seem to understand what he needs to do to be successful, bowling a bit too flat and fast, too many balls straight at the stumps and not teasing the batsmen enough.

But, these are the types of tests that Waggy has turned around with a hostile spell before; so heres hoping he's got a four wicket burst in there somewhere.

OverratedSanity

How do you get runout this late in the day. Brilliant from Santner though.

Puts a lot of pressure on Bangladesh, butas long as they bat the first session tomorrow without completely collapsing, they should be alright.

Blocky

Banned
At the moment, surviving Wagner seems to be the only obstacle to easy batting conditions - Boult and Southee looked toothless even with the brand new cherry.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
How do you get runout this late in the day. Brilliant from Santner though.

Puts a lot of pressure on Bangladesh, butas long as they bat the first session tomorrow without completely collapsing, they should be alright.
This is a similar script from the past. Match will be over halfway through last session.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I appreciate that scoring runs means the Bangladeshis have to bat for a shorter time to be safe, so just stonewalling would have added to the pressure on them.... but to lose two batsman to run-outs (I know, one was injured not actually out, but if the ball had hit the stumps it would have been out) in the last half hour of the 4th day is incredibly stupid cricket. In fact, on a wicket like this to lose any batsmen to runouts is positively criminal.

I do love how recently we seem to have seen an awful lot of tracks declared as "roads - no chance of a result" for 3-4 days and then from somewhere a team manages to make it interesting...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
At a guess, he only got 98 wickets himself and was a seam/swing bowler, versus an aggressive bowler so tends to favor those that swing it, he's Southee's biggest fan.
I don't think it's jealousy or anything. But yeah it's super weird. Apparently he was saying that Wagner was playing for his place on day 1 which is just patently absurd unless you're Howsie. I mean a 20 second statsguru inquiry would be enough to disabuse Doull of any notion that Wagner has a negative effect on Soult. Maybe he doesn't like the danger inherent in Wagner's bouncer barrages?

Blocky

Banned
I don't think it's jealousy or anything. But yeah it's super weird. Apparently he was saying that Wagner was playing for his place on day 1 which is just patently absurd unless you're Howsie. I mean a 20 second statsguru inquiry would be enough to disabuse Doull of any notion that Wagner has a negative effect on Soult. Maybe he doesn't like the danger inherent in Wagner's bouncer barrages?
He's been at it ever since Wagner has been in the side, he advocated massively for Bracewell too at the time; so if it's not jealousy, it's snobbery, in that because he was a swing bowler (and a darn sight better than Southee or Boult at the pure aspect of swing, being he could take it both ways) that's what he prefers to see.

Seems like Northern Districts makes for some absolutely **** commentators though, Styris and Doull are terrible.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, they were talking about Wagner, Henry, and I think it was Bracewell basically competing for one spot. Wagner's stats came up on the screen (which were clearly better than Southee's at least), but they had to think really hard about it before saying, yeah, I think he's probably nailed down the third fast bowling spot here.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
He's clearly the best bowler in the Black Caps at the moment, his record over the last 24 months has been incredible and even stacking his career record up against either Southee or Boult shows he has a better average, a much better strike rate and more wickets per match than either of them. His strike rate of 53.9 is world class, but if you look at the last two years, he's taken 55 wickets in 12 matches @ 22.94, at a strike rate of 46.8

And that's despite usually having to wait twenty overs before he even gets to touch the ball, and very rarely getting a chance to bowl at the tail.

Daemon

He's clearly the best bowler in the Black Caps at the moment, his record over the last 24 months has been incredible and even stacking his career record up against either Southee or Boult shows he has a better average, a much better strike rate and more wickets per match than either of them. His strike rate of 53.9 is world class, but if you look at the last two years, he's taken 55 wickets in 12 matches @ 22.94, at a strike rate of 46.8

And that's despite usually having to wait twenty overs before he even gets to touch the ball, and very rarely getting a chance to bowl at the tail.
I think KW's thinking behind delaying giving him the semi new ball is because he wrecks it and then the swing kings become even more toothless

Blocky

Banned
Maybe, but I think everyone sleeps on the fact that Wagner is capable of swinging the ball quite a bit himself and should be encouraged at times to actually abandon the bouncer attack to focus on line and length; sure if the ball is swinging around lots and Southee/Boult are using it well then delay him, but we've been far too guilty of holding him back regardless of what the first spells from Boult and Southee indicate they'll be like.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw did anyone else notice how atrocious Boult's seam presentation was? It's disappointing given that it looked like he was getting somewhere near his best earlier this season.

Even if NZ manage to nick a win tomorrow, this has been one of the worst team performances from then in the last 5 years. Poor bowling from everyone really, dreadful fielding, and the batsmen to a man tossing their wickets away with dreadful shots. Hard not to come to the conclusion that they dicked around in the lead up to this test under the assumption that the Bangerz would just roll over.

Blocky

Banned
I was too busy rubbishing him for his complete lack of control on line or length to bother with seam position to be honest.

The only two players I give a pass in this test are Latham and Wagner, while not at his best, he still was the only bowler to look likely during big swaths of the Bangladesh innings and had he had that Shakib chance taken by Santner, chances are we would have run them over for less than 300.

Latham looked great, almost a chanceless knock until the end and played really well against the spinners when previously he's found interesting ways to get out to them.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm tempted to hope that Latham has turned a corner, mentally. Of course, he's always done decently against spin-heavy attacks. But at least he got a big daddy here.