• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

Blocky

Banned
Santner had a reasonable domestic season with the bat in 2014-15 before making the NZ side (scores below), but unfortunately being first choice NZ spinner in white ball cricket is limiting his batting opportunities.

FC, 545 runs @ 32, 1 x 100, 3 x 50s
50 over, 326 runs @ 36, 2 x 50s

For home tests would like to see him bat at #7 in tests (Watling at #6), and have four front line quicks, same role for which he was originally selected.
I'd agree with this, but it's much too aggressive of an option for NZ Cricket to be comfortable with, "Oh but BJ is doing well at 7, and it means we have a guy averaging near 40 to bail us out"

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So 110-3 in the first session. It'll be interesting to see how they pace this after lunch.

cnerd123

likes this
Guys Shakib batted for 276 balls across close to a 100 overs over the first two days. That's why he isn't bowling much. He's only human. Give him a break.

Big daddy hundred from Latham, well played.

NZ aren't declaring behind. BD might not get the lead here. This is going to be a draw barring a BD lollapse.

Blocky

Banned
Styris is a complete muppet and for once I'm missing the Ch 9 commentary, at least they don't want to just block out the rest of the game like Pig seems to

_Ed_

I'd love to see us have a hit and see how far we get, but that doesn't seem to be on the agenda.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Haha, one of the radio commentators is trying to explain about Pavlov's dogs. Not sure how this relates to cricket...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That's the major reason the flyover concept was cancelled, people protested what it would do to their viewlines. The government even took the non-consent ruling made by the council to the high court and still couldn't get it overturned.
It's not in as much of a valley as the basin is which is what exacerbates the wind there, A bit of an embankment and some smart planning on placement could result in a pretty good venue; and you'd easily get funding for it if the trade off was "You no longer have the Basin Reserve roundabout ****ing with your traffic"
Which is why they should've just bit the bullet at built an underpass, as well as widened the mt Vic tunnel.

I'm not against progress but an overpass in that area would be bloody ugly.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe an odd thing to say at 440/6, but I'm liking how Bangladesh are bowling. Some good hard work on one of the flattest pitches in the world.

cnerd123

likes this
Maybe an odd thing to say at 440/6, but I'm liking how Bangladesh are bowling. Some good hard work on one of the flattest pitches in the world.
Yup. They have been good all Test. Their batsmen put in the hard yards with the bat, and now the bowlers are doing it with the ball. No slumped shoulders, no giving up mentally. It's been excellent and I'm quite impressed.

Also this pitch isn't that bad. There is bounce while some skid on, there is swing, there is a bit of turn. You could definitely see stronger bowling attacks combined with good fielding taking 20 wickets here. Kamrul and Roy haven't bowled badly but they're barely Test standard, the NZ bowlers weren't consistent enough and when they were they were thwarted by some top-quality batting, and both sides have shelled catches and have had edges/miscues fall into the gaps.

It's actually been a good Test allround, just one that has ended up in the batsmen's favour.

Blocky

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking the same - they've been on good lengths and lines, they've had good field settings for batsmen and they've been working Santner over in particular far worse than I recall our bowlers working any of their bowlers over.

I get the feeling their slinger will eventually take a bag ful against us - NZ have never been good against slingers (Malinga, Johnson, Starc, etc)

Zinzan

It's actually been a good Test allround, just one that has ended up in the batsmen's favour.
For that very reason it's been a poor showing of Test cricket for mine, unless conditions change in the next 1.5 days. Nobody wants boring batting dominated draws.

Incidentally, damn I wish CDG got a bit of luck and came off, we could have been less than 100 behind at this stage.

cnerd123

likes this
For that very reason it's been a poor showing of Test cricket for mine, unless conditions change in the next 1.5 days. Nobody wants boring batting dominated draws.

Incidentally, damn I wish CDG got a bit of luck and came off, we could have been less than 100 behind at this stage.
> Watch the cricket
"Hey look, the ball is moving, there are chances being created, there is some back and forth with the odd boundary being smacked"
> Look at the scorecard
"Oh pffft, this is a batting dominated draw. How boring"

I've enjoyed this test fwiw.

Blocky

Banned
Agree.

Not liking this current short pitch plan though.
I don't mind it, they've pinned him on the helmet, he's nudged a couple close to their fielder at short square and he's not looking entirely comfortable, versus how he was earlier against the fuller pitched stuff - it's also had the side effect of slowing his run scoring down, meaning Bangladesh have controlled the match a bit more - had these two run away at say 5 an over, you'd be less than 100 lead now already.

Zinzan

> Watch the cricket
"Hey look, the ball is moving, there are chances being created, there is some back and forth with the odd boundary being smacked"
> Look at the scorecard
"Oh pffft, this is a batting dominated draw. How boring"

I've enjoyed this test fwiw
I'm pleased for you, I don't think it's been good for Test cricket at all to this point. Several of us can watch the same Test and disagree btw.

Zinzan

Styris is a complete muppet and for once I'm missing the Ch 9 commentary, at least they don't want to just block out the rest of the game like Pig seems to
I don't get this mentality. Flat pitch or not, what have we got to lose? We have another 10 wickets in the shed regardless, & we managed to bowl Pakistan out in virtually one session a month ago. It's not like Bangers don't have a history of completely decimating themselves within a session or two either.

Blocky

Banned
That drinks break was ridiculous, when are we going to start penalising umpires for slow bowling rates and not marshalling the game, you can't blame the captains when umpires let the batting and bowling sides **** around so much. Penalise their match fee and see how quickly the game speeds up.

Blocky

Banned
Finally some ****ing progress, this is baffling by NZ - just erodes the whole "We play a positive brand of cricket and look to win" that the past success in the last four or so years was built around.

Zinzan

Finally some ****ing progress, this is baffling by NZ - just erodes the whole "We play a positive brand of cricket and look to win" that the past success in the last four or so years was built around.
That approach seemed to go out the window along with Bmac's retirement.