• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradmanesque

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As I said it is impossible to compare eras. Way too many variables to extrapolate from.
You could answer my question though. Seeing as you used your points to denigrate Bradman's record, I'd ask you why, if as you say in your points, it was easier in his era, that no one else averaged anywhere near what he did?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He's still a very good player obviously, but essentially a FTB. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and I don't think the two are always mutually exclusive.

P.S aimed at Red Hill

Gob

International Coach
Want an avatar bet on it?

One month?
Means Davey's overall average has to be 47.5 or more after India series

I definitely think that he has to lift his game out side Aust especially in Sub Continent to leave the game with a greater legacy but people shouldn't underestimate his game against pace and bounce. The way he teared Steyn and Rabada in that 1st test is something very unique and i dont think many batsmen in the world if any who can do that to that extent. Also he is decent enough against the moving ball iirc did prety well in England

DriveClub

International Regular
Means Davey's overall average has to be 47.5 or more after India series

I definitely think that he has to lift his game out side Aust especially in Sub Continent to leave the game with a greater legacy but people shouldn't underestimate his game against pace and bounce. The way he teared Steyn and Rabada in that 1st test is something very unique and i dont think many batsmen in the world if any who can do that to that extent. Also he is decent enough against the moving ball iirc did prety well in England
Averages 37 in england, as expected has a good record in SA and surprisingly UAE

Spark

Global Moderator
He really should have done better in England last time around. Got quite a few starts, but threw it away by hitting Moeen down a fielder's throat or with that horrible dinky little pull he used to have.

indiaholic

International Captain
Don't think getting a start matters as much to Warner.. Doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference to how he is batting.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah of all the batsmen in that side, Warner is probably the last one who deserves criticism because for the most part he did his main job really well which was to see off the new ball. Just didn't cash in or got out at really annoying times.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Of course, Warner is amazing and he is not very far off from being in my Best XI of players I have seen and I feel he is, like Sehwag, rather under rated both within CW and amongst the larger cricketing community. None of this, though, means he is Bradmanesque...

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Over the years I have been asked many questions about Don Bradmans batting as compared to cricketers who have come after him and how would he adapt to the shorter form of the game. For those who witnessed Warner's innings today.......That's How.

I have followed Warner since he exploded onto the scene in his pyjama game(20/20) and he bashed everything in sight. He pulled off impossible shots, scoring runs at a phenominal rate.

I said then ,on this forum, he is the only player I have seen who came close to Bradman. I still stand by that statement . As he has matured and applied his craft he has become even better in some respects. Bradman's favourite shot, played a lot of times, was to take a rising ball on the off and despatch it to square leg for the boundary. Warner does a similar type of shot . Probably the only difference is Warner moves his feet more

Whether or not he reaches the 99.94 remains to be seen, I for one will be surprised, but those fortunate to have see Don Bradman play, as I have, can be assured he is re-incarnate in David Warner.

FOOTNOTE: The young fast bowler on debut for NZ, Ferguson, is as consistently as fast as Jeff Thompson who I rate the fastest of all time.(Yes even quicker than Marshall)
Bradman was great, but I have always hated people rating him above the players from other eras. Guys like Warner and AB are freaks, they don't need to be "close to" Bradman or anyone else from that era to be rated highly. Warner has his flaws, but he is too special. In fact I wouldn't even compare guys like Warner, AB, McCullum, etc. to Sachin, Ponting or Lara, they are all different and bring something different to the table.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
You can't compare players from different eras. It is impossible to say how Bradman would have performed in the modern game. The game was very different back then compared to what it is now. Stats alone cannot give you the whole story.

One of the main reasons Bradman did so well was he played the same opposition year in year out. If NZ got to play Bangladesh every year I am sure we'd have batsmen with some pretty inflated averages as well. Also Bradman played all his games in either Australia or England, with England being pretty much a home ground for him.
Hey buddy, you are making too much sense, so the guys on these forums will go after you or completely ignore you. You are not allowed to "not glorify" Bradman here.

Kirkut

International Regular
Bradman was great, but I have always hated people rating him above the players from other eras. Guys like Warner and AB are freaks, they don't need to be "close to" Bradman or anyone else from that era to be rated highly. Warner has his flaws, but he is too special. In fact I wouldn't even compare guys like Warner, AB, McCullum, etc. to Sachin, Ponting or Lara, they are all different and bring something different to the table.
This.

Gob

International Coach
Hey buddy, you are making too much sense, so the guys on these forums will go after you or completely ignore you. You are not allowed to "not glorify" Bradman here.
Guys on this forum are considerably more intelligent than other nationalistic dick wavers from places like Pakpassion (although Blocky is doing his best to bring the collective iq down) so they do tend to go after people who make stupid comments.