• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MCC Moves to limit bat dimensions

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Cricinfo link.

"About time!" I thought. Proposed limits are 40mm at the edge and 67mm to the ridge, which is around today's average level. Would've preferred a regression towards the smaller bats of old (eg. my Gray Nicholls Scoop from the 80s has a 20mm edge). Not sure these new regs will make much difference but at least it won't get any crazier than it already is.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Should just make all bats the measurement of the Don's bats.

Good enough for him, good enough for everyone.

Kirkut

International Regular
Great decision for the health of the game. I would like to have more archaic rules like completely doing away with boundary ropes and the ball should cross the fencing to be called 6 runs, if the ball hits the advertisement billboard on fencing directly, it should be still counted as four.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great decision for the health of the game. I would like to have more archaic rules like completely doing away with boundary ropes and the ball should cross the fencing to be called 6 runs, if the ball hits the advertisement billboard on fencing directly, it should be still counted as four.
No way, it would take away a lot of the brilliant fielding and catching innovations we see around the rope these days. Also result in injuries.

Daemon

Nah we need ropes or else we might see some headfirst dives straight into cameramen, advertising boards etc. Not keen on seeing more players gettinng injured.

Zinzan

Ouch yeah, the injuries would be horrendous. Jeez, the number of times McCullum almost impaled himself on picket fences even with the rope 5-10 meters in.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
40mm is still a pretty ginormous edge. So put me in the disappointed they didn't go further group.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The new regulations just mean the weight will be distributed evenly through the bat and the middle zone will get bigger.I saw a youtube video of a new design a few weeks back and the ping was incredible. And it complied with the new regulations too. Tried to search for it but was unsuccessful. I remember an english county batsman testing it out in the video too.

Last edited:

Burgey

Ouch yeah, the injuries would be horrendous. Jeez, the number of times McCullum almost impaled himself on picket fences even with the rope 5-10 meters in.
Reckon the actual ball should need to cross a boundary rope to be four or six. Would reward the epic dive in the outfield even more

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Reckon the actual ball should need to cross a boundary rope to be four or six. Would reward the epic dive in the outfield even more
If it had to "cross the rope" then they wouldn't be able to have the nice triangular advertising over the ropes. As they stop a lot more balls than just the rope would. ICC would never go for that lol

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I also don't believe this will make any difference anyway. It's the over pressing causing the bats to have massive sweet spots that accounts for the more regular massive hitting these days. (That and the boundary ropes being in but they can't change that)

And the edge size is an irrelavence. Can't find the link but the ICC's own tests about edge size concluded it made no difference.

The ICC seem to be going after the bats when in reality the big hitting is a small part bat. A big part is that these guys are in the gym, bigger, stronger and practice far more, specifically massive hitting. It's the same with Golfers, the hit longer because of the technology. But also because they actually hit the gym rather than the alehouse at the end of the day.

And that's not even starting on modern ODI pitches like the 440 one at Trent Bridge.

But no, lets just go after #BIGBATZ

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
The new regulations just mean the weight will be distributed evenly through the bat and the middle zone will get bigger.I saw a youtube video of a new design a few weeks back and the ping was incredible. And it complied with the new regulations too. Tried to search for it but was unsuccessful. I remember an english county batsman testing it out in the video too.
Found it!!!

Name of the bat is 'Chase 175 Beluga'. Costs 250 quid:

http://www.cricketdirect.co.uk/cata...?node_id=1b1b4efc-f6c2-48a8-b98c-9e9d011def32

Anuj Dal from Nottinghamshire had a look at it.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/644045.html

Last edited:

Daemon

Haha I've always wondered why they didn't do that to bats to make the middle wider for lesser cricketers who don't hit the middle as often. Would make it feel lighter as well since the cg is nearer to the handle.