• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Greatest Test Crickters Of All Time

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sunny Gavaskar
-
George Headley
Brian Lara
Allan Border
Andy Flower +
Shakib Al Hasan
Richard Hadlee
-
-
Murali

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He'll probably want him batting at #4 ahead of Lara as well.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin was head and shoulders above the rest for most of the late '90s, especially away from the subcontinent. I remember the SA and Aus tours in particular. It was basically ATG bowling lineups trying to get him out, and win the game.

Slifer

International Captain
If memory serves me correctly srt had azhuardhin, kambli, sidhu and then later ganguly, laxman, Dravid, sehwag, gambhir. Best batsman in the team but didnt carry it to the extent as others.

vcs

Yeah, not arguing that he had better support in general over the course of his career compared to Lara etc., especially in the latter years, which helped him prolong his career.

OverratedSanity

Kambli and Sidhu weren't exactly great tbh. Probably doesn't fit the thread, but he most definitely carried a rather brittle lineup for most of the 90s.

Rootfan

Banned
1)Bradman D
2)Barnes S
3)Sobers G
4)Miller K
5)GIlchrist A
6)McGrath G
7)Warne S
8)Hadlee R
9)Tendulkar S
10)Steyn D

In that order

kingkallis

International Coach
Sunil Gavaskar
David Warner :ph34r:
George Headley
Brian Lara
Allan Border (c)
Andy Flower +
Shakib Al Hasan
Richard Hadlee
-
-
Muralitharan

listento_me

U19 Captain
If memory serves me correctly srt had azhuardhin, kambli, sidhu and then later ganguly, laxman, Dravid, sehwag, gambhir. Best batsman in the team but didnt carry it to the extent as others.
It's a bit of a myth that "Sachin carried India", he didn't. Especially not to the extent Lara did.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Had Kapil and the spin quartet. Carried the batting though.

Also holds the record for most opening batting partners throughout his career. Makes England's Wheel look tame.
Kapil surely merits a place for carrying India's pace attack.

You could make a case for Hutton, at least in away Tests - averaged 88 in Australia in 1950-1 (next best Simpson on 38), and 96 in WI in 1953-4 (next best Compton on 49).

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
Had Kapil and the spin quartet. Carried the batting though.

Also holds the record for most opening batting partners throughout his career. Makes England's Wheel look tame.
The Gavaskar/Chauhan partnership must surely win the award for "Worst partner in a ATG batting openers' duo". The latter never even scored one century for goodness sake.

indiaholic

International Captain
It's a bit of a myth that "Sachin carried India", he didn't. Especially not to the extent Lara did.
Not a complete myth but yeah nowhere near Lara.. Remember reading a comparison somewhere that Tendulkar scored something like 16.5% of the team's runs while Lara was 19.5%. Huge difference imo.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bradman a good shout for carrying am obviously inferior team. At least by relative standards. I mean the best players he played with barely averaged half of what he did.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Who would be the highest ranking Englishman (I genuinely mean that term, so no KP) in an atg list?

for my money, it's Botham.