• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Imran Khan?

Pluto

Banned
I hope some of the users here have watched him live. I've been reading a discussion on another board about him. A certain member who posts here using the same ID is arguing that Imran was not a great strike bowler in Test cricket. I'd like to know the opinion of the majority here.

How someone who took 350+ wickets with many 5-wicket hauls is not a strike bowler in Test cricket is completely beyond me :D

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was an amazing cricketer. IMO the best of the great 80s allrounders and a great strike bowler in test cricket.

Zinzan

He was an amazing cricketer. IMO the best of the great 80s allrounders and a great strike bowler in test cricket.
Fair to say that opinion is shared by the almost the entire cricketing world. Definitely the best of the four 80s allrounders.

IIRC PEWS rates Imran above Sobers as the greatest allrounder of all-time. I wouldn't quite go that far myself, but I know some who think that highly of him.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not many cricketers who could legitimately bat top 6 and also be a legit opening pace bowler.

Imran, Miller, Botham, perhaps Sobers.

Red

Procter, Rice.
Fair enough but Rice never played a test and Procter batted at 7th or lower in all his tests.

Great shame Rice never got his chance in tests. FC batting average of 40 and a FC bowling average of 22. In almost 500 FC matches!

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Imran certainly was a terrific cricketer and not many in history have been as successful as he has been as an all rounder at the highest level.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't think Imran warrants a #6 slot in any line up, maybe a bit like India are doing with Ashwin right now but ideally he would bat 7 or 8 and open the bowling and is IMo the best bowling allrounder of all time.

Red

He'd bat at 6 for Aust at the moment. Might even do as well as Mitch Marsh did.

Top_Cat

I know what the averages say but I personally put Botham above him (just) in the all-rounder stakes.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I hope some of the users here have watched him live. I've been reading a discussion on another board about him. A certain member who posts here using the same ID is arguing that Imran was not a great strike bowler in Test cricket.I'd like to know the opinion of the majority here.

How someone who took 350+ wickets with many 5-wicket hauls is not a strike bowler in Test cricket is completely beyond me :D
I bet thats smalishah. Gambhiring about Imran and that too in other forum ffs

smash84

The Tiger King
I hope some of the users here have watched him live. I've been reading a discussion on another board about him. A certain member who posts here using the same ID is arguing that Imran was not a great strike bowler in Test cricket. I'd like to know the opinion of the majority here.

Whoever is feeding you that crap has no idea what he is talking about. Imran is one of the greatest strike bowlers in history. In over a 100 years of cricket I can't think of more than 10-15 names (and that's stretching it) that I would take ahead of him for strike bowling.

OverratedSanity

Bowled all right in the NZ series, I thought. But the batsmen were spuds and the slip fielders dropped like a dozen catches.