• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Imran Khan?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Because they average same. Head to head at their pomp, both destroyed bowling attacks. Botham had better peak, but Kapil was more consistent and was miles better than Botham against West Indies, the best team of the era.

Kapil > Botham for me.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Geez I loved Kapil when I was a kid.

Forget Tendulkar, Dhoni and Kohli; Kapil will always be the man AFAIC.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geez I loved Kapil when I was a kid.

Forget Tendulkar, Dhoni and Kohli; Kapil will always be the man AFAIC.
That 80's era with the all-rounders must have been something special to grow up watching as a kid.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That 80's era with the all-rounders must have been something special to grow up watching as a kid.
It was pretty awesome, but the downside was because you didn't get OS series like you do now, you missed out on seeing a lot of them.

I think Imran played here in 83-84 as a batsman only because he had leg injuries, which was a great shame though we got to see him play for NSW on his "**** everything that moves in my apartment at the Connaught" tour.

Kapil was great to watch with the ball here on his last tour in the early 90s. I remember some of his spells where he made our top order look really shabby.

Botham didn't do much in 82/83 but played a. Linder in Brisbane in 86/87 then trashed a plane with Lillee on a flight from Brisbane to Perth when he played for qld.

Hadlee was exceptional on his tours here, more so with the ball though he scored some valuable runs every now and then. 60 Minutes here did a great story on him and how he prepared mentally for test matches. Will see if I can dig it out.

And of course we had Tony Dodemaide and Simon O'Donnell :ph34r:

Weirdly, about the only side which didn't have an alto under was the Windies, though Baptiste played a bit in the mid-80s.

Was a fun era.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Imran is always in my all time eleven and gets in on his bowling alone. I'd only rank Mcgrath and Marshall above him as bowlers (Hadlee and Steyn same ball park).

Personally I wouldn't have Imran in the top 5 bowlers of all time. He's a contender for 6-10 for sure but all the guys below were better.

For me top 5:
1) marshall
2) Mcgrath
3) Ambrose
4) Steyn
5) Hadlee

zephiisdaman

Cricket Spectator
My question was mainly about how you guys rate his as a fast bowler.
He was a good bowler without being a great bowler in my opinion. He was the first bowler that I really saw make the ball reverse swing. Saw him live in Tests, ODI World Cup Final v England at MCG and in World Series Cricket.
He was in the bracket slightly below the West Indian bowlers, Lillee and Hadlee. But he was on a par or better than Botham and other English bowlers. A very, very good player but it was a great era for fast bowlers back then.

smash84

The Tiger King
He was a good bowler without being a great bowler in my opinion. He was the first bowler that I really saw make the ball reverse swing. Saw him live in Tests, ODI World Cup Final v England at MCG and in World Series Cricket.
He was in the bracket slightly below the West Indian bowlers, Lillee and Hadlee. But he was on a par or better than Botham and other English bowlers. A very, very good player but it was a great era for fast bowlers back then.
:blink:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
If you look at the statistics of Botham and Imran it is astonishing as they are mirror images of one-and-another. Botham's bowling was staggeringly amazing from the word go (he was at his peak, 1977-8) and got steadily worse. Imran's beginning was terrible but he gradually turned himself into an incredible cricketer with both bat and ball. The only constant was Botham's batting which remained in the mid-thirties (ave) throughout.

It really is a lesson in two different ways to run a cricket career!