• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why don't we have female umpires?

Shri

Mr. Glass
If a woman meets the criteria and gets into the elite panel, it would be awesome. I don't see any cons in this idea.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But I hate women. And quite frankly I don't want to see some fit arse meant for gym pants thrust in my face when I'm trying to watch a bowler's action and a batsman's technique.

It's just not cricket.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Female umpires Sue Redfern and Jacqueline Williams make history at 2016 ICC WCL Division Five | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Sue Redfern of England and Jacqueline Williams of the West Indies created history on Sunday for their roles in Oman's 181-run win over Nigeria at ICC WCL Division Five in Jersey. Redfern was one of the two standing umpires, working with Scotland's Alex Dowdalls, in the game while Williams served as third umpire. It marked the first time that two female umpires have officiated in a men's ICC tournament match.

Though multiple female umpires have served in women's ICC tournament matches - Redfern and Williams were two of four female officials at the Women's World T20 Qualifier in Thailand last November and filled standing and third umpire roles respectively in a game between Ireland and Netherlands on the opening day of that event - Sunday was the first time it occurred in a men's ICC fixture. Kathy Cross was the first women's official to stand in a men's ICC tournament match, serving at 2014 ICC WCL Division Five and Three, both held in Malaysia that year.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Men are just so much better at everything. The dude up there even has the women beat in the titty department.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If a woman meets the criteria and gets into the elite panel, it would be awesome. I don't see any cons in this idea.
There just haven't been any really go for it and be good enough. Of course there's no rule against it, or bias against them. If anything you'd think being a female could work for them and get them thrust in (pardon the pun) above their ability level for the sake of having a woman umpire.

It would make a bowler's run-up look better on tv.
lol judging by the general physicality of most women umpires I have come across, it wouldn't

listento_me

U19 Captain
Honestly, lets stop this bollocks. No female has as much cricketing experience or at as high a level as an experienced male umpire. Lets not ask for female positions just because, lets do it on merit.

91Jmay

International Coach
Honestly, lets stop this bollocks. No female has as much cricketing experience or at as high a level as an experienced male umpire. Lets not ask for female positions just because, lets do it on merit.
Good point, Charlotte Edwards would be far too inexperienced of international cricket compared to Billy Bowden was at the start of his career.

DriveClub

International Regular
There's no reason why it shouldn't happen except they shouldn't be hot, imagine a fast bowler shouting for an lbw and then nicely slip in a request for her number. Scratch that what would gayle do?

Bijed

International Regular
Obviously if someone's good enough for the job it shouldn't matter, but (correct me if I'm wrong), but don't women generally have better peripheral vision at the expense of not being able to visually focus on something so well? Might affect their ability to judge lbw's, detect small deviations off an edge etc? No idea if the difference is actually significant in this context, though

Shri

Mr. Glass
Obviously if someone's good enough for the job it shouldn't matter, but (correct me if I'm wrong), but don't women generally have better peripheral vision at the expense of not being able to visually focus on something so well? Might affect their ability to judge lbw's, detect small deviations off an edge etc? No idea if the difference is actually significant in this context, though
Pretty sure that might be bull****. If that were true, we wouldn't see women in combat roles in armies around the world I think.

listento_me

U19 Captain
since we're talking about this, female commentators sound like shrilly 9 year olds

no body needs them on 3rd umpire duty

cnerd123

likes this
I just think women's cricket isn't at the point where they have enough women committed to it full time who aren't players/administrators for there to be a sizeable pool of umpires.

Like, most professional men's umpires were either former first class cricketers who wanted to stay involved after retirement but didnt have cushy admin or coaching jobs waiting for them, or guys who loved the game but weren't good enough players to make a living off that. How many women are there in a similar situation?

Its really just a matter of time. The women's game is growing and so hopefully we see more high level womens umpires soon.