• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why don't we have female umpires?

Bijed

International Regular
Pretty sure that might be bull****. If that were true, we wouldn't see women in combat roles in armies around the world I think.
Fair point, I'll see if I can find any decent sources

Edit: I haven't really put much effort into finding a variety of reputable and verified sources, but quickly came across this National Geographic article.

Females are better at discriminating among colors, researchers say, while males excel at tracking fast-moving objects and...
So maybe there is a difference after all. Mind you, even if women are genetically 'worse' at this specific thing, you'd think most would still be better than the likes of Bowden, Doctrove, Rauf etc.

*****'s explanation seems a better one, though.

Edit: For some reason you can't link to the article properly, in case someone was actually going to read it, just google 'mens vs womens vision'

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I hope it becomes a serious career option for the women cricketers out there. Would make it so much easier for them to take cricket as a career...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair point, I'll see if I can find any decent sources

Edit: I haven't really put much effort into finding a variety of reputable and verified sources, but quickly came across this National Geographic article.

So maybe there is a difference after all. Mind you, even if women are genetically 'worse' at this specific thing, you'd think most would still be better than the likes of Bowden, Doctrove, Rauf etc.

*****'s explanation seems a better one, though.

Edit: For some reason you can't link to the article properly, in case someone was actually going to read it, just google 'mens vs womens vision'
Either way that's rubbish in relation to whether or not they can umpire. Saying that in general, one gender has a higher propensity for something, on average is irrelevant as to whether some can be good at something.

Women are on average physically weaker than men, but this doesn't mean that there aren't some ****ing strong women out there.

cnerd123

likes this
Either way that's rubbish in relation to whether or not they can umpire. Saying that in general, one gender has a higher propensity for something, on average is irrelevant as to whether some can be good at something.

Women are on average physically weaker than men, but this doesn't mean that there aren't some ****ing strong women out there.
Weren't you of the guys that argued that India doesn't produce fast bowlers because of diet and genetics?

Bijed

International Regular
]

In my 2 posts on the subject I did in fact say things such as 'If someone's good enough for the job, it doesn't matter' and also that you'd expect a lot of women, even if worse on average, to be better that at least the worse of the male international umpires - basically it was a reason why you might see fewer female umpires than you might otherwise expect, and I acknowledged that even if it we're true, there are bigger reasons.

cnerd123

likes this
]

In my 2 posts on the subject I did in fact say things such as 'If someone's good enough for the job, it doesn't matter' and also that you'd expect a lot of women, even if worse on average, to be better that at least the worse of the male international umpires - basically it was a reason why you might see fewer female umpires than you might otherwise expect, and I acknowledged that even if it we're true, there are bigger reasons.
I see you haven't met TJB before

TheJediBrah

]

I never suggested otherwise, there's really no need to be sensitive or defensive about it. Yours was a very well written, well researched and sensible post by internet forum standards

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's an opinion, female umpires won't be able to be impartial in a male game.

Review her decision and you'll be in the dog house for months, every decision will go against you and the ICC will have to encourage umpire bribery.

And quite frankly the last thing we need is when the third/on field umpires are discussing for a prolonged discussion of, "Nooo you hang up haha, no you hang up, no way you cutie, you hang up first hahaha i'm not changing my decision Kumar" The game is being delayed enough in the modern time as it is.

Daemon

I believed every word up to the point where you insinuated anyone wouldn't immediately hang up on Dharmasena

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I must apologize vehemently, apparently my disgusting remarks were trolling and bait towards CW's large commune of women and not just a passing quip.

Also apparently my earlier post where I outright state I hate women didn't qualify.

Last edited:

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Honestly, lets stop this bollocks. No female has as much cricketing experience or at as high a level as an experienced male umpire. Lets not ask for female positions just because, lets do it on merit.
I would have no problem whatsoever if it was just male umpires for men's cricket and female umpires for women's cricket either. Simple as that.