• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

helmets park cricket

ajdude

International Coach
i love the thread title. it's what i imagine an old person would type when googling the topic

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Peter McGlashan used to wear the catcher's mask, which made complete sense. But given he was well known as 'McFashion' and liked to do things differently/for attention, no one was keen to be a follower. It's much lighter, better vision, able to be whipped off quickly I imagine, can't see why keepers aren't doing it more.
Yeah, there are still a few who use it, Tim Ludeman wears something similar.

A few keepers I know prefer the full helmet due to more protection from them actually being hit in the head by the bat, particularly in shorter forms where guys are getting really deep in their crease.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to admit I've never seen a keeper hit by a bat in the head in all my years. If that was me keeping, or the keeper in my side, I think I'd be real tempted to do similar to the batsman inflicting it.

Helmets are a hindrance to keepers, certainly weighs them down making lateral movement or looking anywhere but straight down the wicket. There must be a better way.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Peter McGlashan used to wear the catcher's mask, which made complete sense. But given he was well known as 'McFashion' and liked to do things differently/for attention, no one was keen to be a follower. It's much lighter, better vision, able to be whipped off quickly I imagine, can't see why keepers aren't doing it more.
Didn't Darren Berry invent that?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Have to admit I've never seen a keeper hit by a bat in the head in all my years. If that was me keeping, or the keeper in my side, I think I'd be real tempted to do similar to the batsman inflicting it.

Helmets are a hindrance to keepers, certainly weighs them down making lateral movement or looking anywhere but straight down the wicket. There must be a better way.
First time I saw it happen was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5TLuABgC8

Seen it happen a couple of times since.

cnerd123

likes this
I umpired a women's game in HK recently where the keeper wore a catchers mask. Turns out she was a softball player too.

Daemon

Heh this reminds me of an instance this season where I wore my cap backwards and put on the helmet while keeping. There was a top edge, ball went slightly behind me and I had no ****ing clue where it was because the bill of the cap was blocking me from tilting my head straight up. Ball ended up dropping about 15 yards from the stumps while I was doing my little pirouette.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wore one as a junior coz i had too, but stopped once i became a senior. bowlers in my grade too slow to really scare me

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Darren Berry invent that?
May well have, would again explain why other top-level keepers were reluctant to do it - you don't want to be seen to be copying someone like a Chuck Berry or Peter McFashion. McGlashan had the catcher's mask and the hockey shinpads under the trousers instead of pads. A lot of people thought he was a tosser but it all made sense.

Julian87

State Captain
Reckon I'd be the last generation to not wear a helmet as a junior. Late 20s now, I never wore one until 15s from memory and even then I ditched it as quickly as possible.

Had the ridiculous rule implemented in SCG Country Cup this year that my under 16s wicketkeeper had to wear a helmet for the entire 50 overs. Now that is an absolute joke when (a) it's way too hot out here to do that and (b) the keeper back to fast bowling should be just about the least likely player to cop one in the melon.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reckon I'd be the last generation to not wear a helmet as a junior. Late 20s now, I never wore one until 15s from memory and even then I ditched it as quickly as possible.
Yeah I'm 29 now, and it was around my age that it kept on coming in - when I played first year U14s (as an U13) you could wear a cap, then the next year they made helmets compulsory. Was similar with U17 rep cricket as well, I remember Finch getting to wear a cap, but then by U19s we all had to wear helmets.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha yeah if you're copping one in the face standing back then wicketkeeping probably isn't for you.

Burgey

Probably more to do with the one which bounces in front of you or an errant throw from the boundary hitting the edge of the synthetic pitch, but yeah, I agree with what you say.