• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the worst condition you have been in but still played cricket?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just hungover as a dog for me, & several times.

Vividly remember once just dropping my bat in the middle of an over & sprinting to the bushes just past the boundary line to throw up, before gingerly returning 1 minute later, apologising to all concerned, & facing up to the next ball. Made 45* that day if my memory serves.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Played a rep game the day after our club game (which is normal, rep always takes up the Sunday after you've played on Saturday). Unfortunately I'd bowled 22-odd overs in the club game on the Saturday, and I raced home, had a shower, and the bus picked me up from a spot near my home about 30 mins later. We headed down to a place on the north coast of NSW called Grafton/. It's a real country town, and a bit of a ****hole to be honest. We were playing the rep team from their area for a spot in the NSW Country Cup. We arrived in town around 8:30pm and had some dinner. We then proceeded to hit the pubs. I ended up in bed at around 3am, and got around 3 hours sleep before getting up for breakfast and to get ready for the game. Our fellow opening bowler got 1 hour's sleep after meeting a local lass and bringing her back to the room. The only saving grace was we met some of the other team out at the same bar we were at, and we knew some of them got home at 6am.

Come game time I get thrown the new ball and we have them 2/2 (one wicket from a cut shot that happened to be smashed straight to point). I get through an 8 over spell ok, and end up with 4/32 at that stage of the game. About an over after I'd finished my spell I started to realise I was in trouble though - I had tightened up so much after having bowled the day before (consuming alcohol overnight and getting 3 hours sleep probably didn't help either) that I couldn't actually bend down to field the ball without being in considerable pain. I told the captain I didn't think I could bowl my last two overs unless I loosened up a lot before the last few overs rolled around, and his response was, "You'll be right". His optimism was to prove somewhat misplaced. My second spell rolled around and I hobbled over to get the ball, with nothing having improved since I completed my previous spell. I was as stiff as a board. I called the wicketkeeper right up to the stumps, and did my best to wobble the last 12 balls I still had in hand down the other end of the wicket without too much damage occuring to either myself or the scoreboard. My last two overs went for 27 runs, so I ended up with 4/59 off 10, after having 4 for 32 after 8. The other team thought it was pretty funny, and I think they took pity on us for having bowled so many overs the day before after the game. We went on to lose after being in a promising position early on.

The highlight of the trip was my mate's pick-up line the night before when he was talking to a local called Sharon (of course). He said "Where do you live Sharon". "South Grafton", Shazza replied. So he said, "What's a house go for in South Grafton these days...3 to 4 thousand dollars?" Oh how we laughed.

Burgey

Current game. 47 and unfit. Made 63 not last Saturday wand became pain free Thursday.

Am not including myriad hang overs.

Daemon

Cycled about 40km overnight, slept half an hour on the team bus and then kept wicket for 30 overs. By the end of it I wasn't even squatting, just kneeling behind the stumps.

Son Of Coco

Current game. 47 and unfit. Made 63 not last Saturday wand became pain free Thursday.

Am not including myriad hang overs.

Haha, reminds me of the first bowl every season in the nets. Would go to work with my uncles and turn myself completely sideways in the seat in his ute before pushing off and hoping I didn't fall over when I hit the ground. The pain usually lasted a week.

Shri

Mr. Glass
When I was 17, me and a bunch of my friends were the oldest kids who played cricket in our neighborhood and made up teams with a lot of younger kids and just batted all day after asking them to bowl. They are usually pathetic and we didn't take them seriously but one 12 year old was a new kid and he ran in and bounced one to the side of my head much quicker than I expected. However, I just continued batting and was angry, frustrated and embarrassed. When the spinner came on, I went to my best shot against spinners and puled him with everything I had and top edged the ball onto my chin. The inside of my lower lip clashed against the teeth and I bled like hell. That was mentally the worst for me. Being humiliated by ****ing 12 year olds.

I also remember having some ringing in my head later in the day and throwing up, not sure if that was a concussion or if I just reacted to pigging out on the buffet.

social

My first top grade captain was a former test cricketer

In one of my early games, I top edged a ball into my face resulting in a black eye and several stitches

Upon my return to the ground, we were in trouble and he told me to pad up

A wicket then fell and he allowed me to walk onto the ground before calling me back, telling me that he was proud of my attitude.

**** robbed me of a hundred :ph34r:

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When I was a fair bit younger (ealy 20s) I injured my back fielding very early in a game. It hurt like hell, but only when I twisted. Was gonna go off, but I stayed on and bowled first change and ended up with my best ever bowling figures of 6/27. Still think the injury did something to my back that changed my action and made me bowl better that day.

Had the Monday after off work too!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Played through a broken finger for one game, hardly Lazarus like stuff though. Just had to try and hide my stuffed hand in the field for 45 overs.

indiaholic

International Captain
Played with an injured knee and made it noticeably worse.. Wasn't a great decision and it still flares up.