• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

on song

who's better to watch on song

• batsmen

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • pace bowlers

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • spin bowlers

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • johnson charles

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Shady Slim

International Coach
so out of batsmen, fast bowlers, and spinners, who does the forum prefer to see "on song", each has its merits

batsmen
when they're on song, there is a certain invincibility about a batsman - their defense is staunch and everything comes out of the middle of the bat, the pill to the boundary seemingly on a dime. the bowlers have nothing left in the tank, which helps the dominating batsman's more - the power of the batsman on song is dominating and unbridled

fast bowlers
when they're on song there's a certain raw energy about it - some instinct from within us that bays for the blood of the poor man in the helmet with nowhere to hide. whether it's a fiery bouncer or a yorker on middle that floors the stick man, the pacer in the zone is a rush of pure energy

spinners
tweakers in the zone can come in two forms: the ball doing it or the pitch doing it. sometimes it's a case of huge revs on the ball turning it past the bat, other times it's the mysterious puff of dust making the ball jump out of the pitch - but there's always fielders around the bat ooing and aahing making suspense and tension, and there's always the possibility of that one ball

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
also forgot to make the poll options public if anyone could change that for me that'd be great

cnerd123

likes this
Johnson Charles is also a batsman. Bad joke option IMO. Should have picked a bits-and-pieces non rounder who does everything. Like Andrew Symonds. Could have added in fielding too then

Shady Slim

International Coach
Johnson Charles is also a batsman. Bad joke option IMO. Should have picked a bits-and-pieces non rounder who does everything. Like Andrew Symonds. Could have added in fielding too then
i thought about that but then considered if you can really call johnson charles a) a batsmen or b) on song ever lol

Bijed

International Regular
When a fast bowler is on song, their entire spell makes for compelling viewing, so they get my vote, but if it's condensed down into a highlights package then I find spinners to be better for watching.

Shady Slim

International Coach
one advantage that spinners have imo is that they bowl more balls in any give. amount of time so there's more to see

counter argument to that of course is the run up of the pacer building suspense

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As tempting as the last option was, I had to go with pace bowlers. There's nothing quite like it.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, I enjoy the run up from a suspense POV, which is probably why the spinners fare better on the highlights for me because they don't get so much of their run up cut out. I personally don't find their higher number of deliveries in a period of time to add much when viewed live in this context, the amount of time between balls for a pacer often seems just about right for building up the contest.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i suppose it's more specific than the poll as well tbf

at least to me an offspinner is rarely if ever as exciting as a legspinner (and murali doesn't count as your typical off spinner)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Going batsmen because they're on it for longer.

Taking KP's 149 at Headingley, that was 5 hours of astonishing batting. Whereas the most destructive spell of fast bowling I've seen recently (Broad at Trent Bridge) was over in 8 and a half overs.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i loved that spell, captivating stuff, but imo you can't call it destructive per se

mitch johnson was destructive, that spell from broad was excellent and exemplary and various other words beginning with e but something different to the mitch spells

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going batsmen because they're on it for longer.

Taking KP's 149 at Headingley, that was 5 hours of astonishing batting. Whereas the most destructive spell of fast bowling I've seen recently (Broad at Trent Bridge) was over in 8 and a half overs.
If anything this is a point in favour of fast bowlers. Dominating innings last longer but at some point you get numb to it. Watching sehwag score almost 300 in a day vs Murali was fun but around halfway through it became monotonous. A fast bowler ripping through a lineup is never, ever dull.

Top_Cat

In general, quick bowling is great but I've always enjoyed a spinner torturing a bat. A good quick bowling spell is red-blooded but a spinner is cold-blooded because the good spinners, knowing they've got someone dead to rights, will draw it out and thoroughly dissect someone mentally and technically before the killer blow. Mushie's spell to Graeme Hick in the '92 WC final is still the most painful examination of someone's game I've personally seen, especially since his rep against spin was so big.

Last edited:

vcs

Lara in some of his classic innings and Kohli in the 2nd innings of the previous Test are good arguments for batsmen. It's nice to see a batsman make it look like they're playing a club attack on a road while everyone else is struggling to survive a few balls.

Kirkut

International Regular
In general, quick bowling is great but I've always enjoyed a spinner torturing a bat. A good quick bowling spell is red-blooded but a spinner is cold-blooded because the good spinners, knowing they've got someone dead to rights, will draw it out and thoroughly dissect someone mentally and technically before the killer blow. Mushie's spell to Graeme Hick in the '92 WC final is still the most painful examination of someone's game I've personally seen, especially since his rep against spin was so big.
Actually more than the mental aspect of spin bowling I enjoy watching the flight and drift of the ball before getting through bat-pad gap and hitting timber. Swann to Ponting in 2009, Krejza to Laxman in 2008 are some that come to mind now.