• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

on song

who's better to watch on song

• batsmen

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • pace bowlers

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • spin bowlers

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • johnson charles

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Shady Slim

International Coach
his roundness against my lot in the first test second innings a great example of spin

spin also more conducive to the epic blockathon imo

anil1405

International Captain
I might be among the minority here but watching Tahir deceive batsmen in LOIs is sheer pleasure to watch.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually more than the mental aspect of spin bowling I enjoy watching the flight and drift of the ball before getting through bat-pad gap and hitting timber. Swann to Ponting in 2009, Krejza to Laxman in 2008 are some that come to mind now.
Yeah this. It's like magic.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In general, quick bowling is great but I've always enjoyed a spinner torturing a bat. A good quick bowling spell is red-blooded but a spinner is cold-blooded because the good spinners, knowing they've got someone dead to rights, will draw it out and thoroughly dissect someone mentally and technically before the killer blow. Mushie's spell to Graeme Hick in the '92 WC final is still the most painful examination of someone's game I've personally seen, especially since his rep against spin was so big.
Warne to Bell in 2005 was just ridiculous. There was one dismissal where Warne just kept pitching it on off and spinning it away from Bell, Bell thinks he's got wise to him so decides to leave it...except Warne's wise to it and bowls him one that doesn't spin and traps him lbw dead in front.

Warne was mesmerising that summer but with Bell in particular any ball he didn't get out to Warne it felt like it was because Warne fancied another round of torture first.

smash84

The Tiger King
hard to beat fast bowlers though. Through the 70s onwards we've seen some great sights

Dennis Lillee, Jeff Thomson, Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Imran Khan, Allan Donald, Waqar Younis, , Curtly Ambrose, and the current champion Dale Steyn etc

I mean come on, hard for batsmen to compete with the excitement of these guys steaming in

cnerd123

likes this
I feel like one thing I love watching, that is more apparent at club/domestic level than international level, are plays who bowl what appear to be filthy darts/cutters/straight breaks in limited overs cricket but who inevitably run through their overs quickly for no runs.

You know the kind of bowler. The kind of bowler you face in the nets that you don't remember afterwards because everything be bowled came on to your bat so nicely and he didn't beat you once. The kind of bowler you watch from the sidelines as your teammates continue to whack his innocuous deliveries straight to the fielders repeatedly. The kind of bowler who bowls his overs without anyone realising or appreciating it, but when you look at the scorecard you realise he is somehow through half his quota for an economy of three and you're side is now behind the required run rate. The kind of bowler you go out to the middle to face, realise the ball is basically doing nothing, and proceed to find the middle of the bat right away, but only a couple of overs later you realise his genius. How he has sussed out your batting instincts. How he has men strategically placed all round the field, right down the exact degree, in order to cut off all your run scoring strokes. How he gives you no respite, no freebies, no extras, and somehow like a puppet master has you hitting every ball to exactly where he wants you to hit him. The kind of bowler who went from forgettable to frustrating and then to frightening. The dot balls rack up as you realise how mechanical and predictable your batting is, and how you are not playing cricket anymore, but a chess match with a grand master.

Inevitably the RRR creeps up, and you get out going for a big slog trying to release the pressure. You either miss it, nick it, or hole out to straight into the hands of the man in the deep placed right there for just this stroke.

He inevitably finishes his 10 overs for figures of like 10-2-30-2, and everyone complaining about how he was getting uneven bounce or skidding or how they just weren't feeling it when batting against him today, when the reality being that he played you all like a flute.

I love these kinds of bowlers. They are the best.

Daemon

***** we know you have a hard on for Jadeja but give it a rest. They are not the 'best'. They're boring.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm going to be alone on loving parsimonious non-bowlers and I dont mind. They awesome. Best part of limited overs cricket for me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I feel like one thing I love watching, that is more apparent at club/domestic level than international level, are plays who bowl what appear to be filthy darts/cutters/straight breaks in limited overs cricket but who inevitably run through their overs quickly for no runs.

You know the kind of bowler. The kind of bowler you face in the nets that you don't remember afterwards because everything be bowled came on to your bat so nicely and he didn't beat you once. The kind of bowler you watch from the sidelines as your teammates continue to whack his innocuous deliveries straight to the fielders repeatedly. The kind of bowler who bowls his overs without anyone realising or appreciating it, but when you look at the scorecard you realise he is somehow through half his quota for an economy of three and you're side is now behind the required run rate. The kind of bowler you go out to the middle to face, realise the ball is basically doing nothing, and proceed to find the middle of the bat right away, but only a couple of overs later you realise his genius. How he has sussed out your batting instincts. How he has men strategically placed all round the field, right down the exact degree, in order to cut off all your run scoring strokes. How he gives you no respite, no freebies, no extras, and somehow like a puppet master has you hitting every ball to exactly where he wants you to hit him. The kind of bowler who went from forgettable to frustrating and then to frightening. The dot balls rack up as you realise how mechanical and predictable your batting is, and how you are not playing cricket anymore, but a chess match with a grand master.

Inevitably the RRR creeps up, and you get out going for a big slog trying to release the pressure. You either miss it, nick it, or hole out to straight into the hands of the man in the deep placed right there for just this stroke.

He inevitably finishes his 10 overs for figures of like 10-2-30-2, and everyone complaining about how he was getting uneven bounce or skidding or how they just weren't feeling it when batting against him today, when the reality being that he played you all like a flute.

I love these kinds of bowlers. They are the best.

Burgey

In general, quick bowling is great but I've always enjoyed a spinner torturing a bat. A good quick bowling spell is red-blooded but a spinner is cold-blooded because the good spinners, knowing they've got someone dead to rights, will draw it out and thoroughly dissect someone mentally and technically before the killer blow. Mushie's spell to Graeme Hick in the '92 WC final is still the most painful examination of someone's game I've personally seen, especially since his rep against spin was so big.
Yep, great point. Murali's spell for the ICC XI in the test in Sydney where he tortured Katman among others was some of the best bowling I've seen.