• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Futherest you have hit a cricket ball

Shady Slim

International Coach
wtf planting the front foot is the best on astro because you know unless there are cigarette burns in the pitch (could be a western sydney grade thing) the ball isn't going to do a thing

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wtf planting the front foot is the best on astro because you know unless there are cigarette burns in the pitch (could be a western sydney grade thing) the ball isn't going to do a thing
Not in sg where it rains every other day lol. We get spinners bowling bouncers at times, some pretty filthy wickets out here.

TheJediBrah

well over 100 metres. Generally it's the walk-down-the-wicket slog sweeps off the quicks over forward square leg that have gone the furtherest. Lost a few balls with that in my time.

edit: haven't played on astro-turf since I was a kid, but IIRC spin bowling is very difficult. Like you can pretty much just play everything off the back foot (ie cut and pull anything short of a half volley). I'm sure you'd get a lot of pulled sixes off the spinners on astroturf.

Last edited:

Burgey

Using your feet isn't easy. Unless you have made an effort to come down the wicket in the nets and during games through a season, holding your head still is difficult and you completely miss the ball more often than not. Opening up your stance and having a swing is easier and more effective nine times out of ten.
It's an acquired art. I hadn't had a substantial hit in two years til Saturday and when I went in they had a young leggie on who was landing them ok. I wasn't really looking forward to facing him but every time he tossed it above my eyeline I went down the deck to him, and didn't consciously think about it. I reckon if I was in my 20s I never would have done that.

Bijed

International Regular
well over 100 metres. Generally it's the walk-down-the-wicket slog sweeps off the quicks over forward square leg that have gone the furtherest. Lost a few balls with that in my time..
I've nearly lost balls from trying that and missing.

TheJediBrah

In all seriousness, it's an underrated tactic. I've been doing it for years with great success, opening the batting. Even in the first few overs of a match. I saw Hayden do it when I was a kid and decided to try it.

The trick is you walk down the pitch and slightly across your stumps, so it's impossible to get bowled or lbw. The only way you can get out is caught. You can then play pretty much any shot you want depending on where they bowl it (7/10 times the "clever" fast bowler will bowl a bouncer, which you obviously expect and then hook for six).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
lol

I've hit maybe 10 sixes in "real" cricket in my entire career (about 150 senior games). Every single one of them has been a pull/hook from a short ball from a medium pacer that should have known better than to bowl short (due to his speed, not my skill) that has gone just forward of square (and just cleared the fence), except one six, when I legit hit a quick opening bowler bowling with a new ball straight back over his head and it cleared the fence by about 15 metres. I've never hit a ball cleaner than that one shot. I'm usually pretty scratchy apart from my pull shot, but this shot just ****ing took off. Felt so good.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sounds similar to me on the rare occasions I bowled.

As for batting, I never hit a six in all the years I played. Just didn't have the strength, and preferred to hit the ball along the ground anyway.
I too never hit a six, although based on how far I have occasionally hit a golf ball I think it was lack of talent rather than lack of strength. In fact in the entirety of my playing career I only ever once made a connection with the ball that I was completely happy with, when I took an almighty heave at a long hop from a leg spinner. On every other ground I ever played on it would have been six by a distance, but I managed to choose to do it on the biggest playing area in Berkshire, with the wicket on the wrong side of the square and I could see it would probably only be four. But I stood and admired the shot anyway before the crowning turd in the punchbowl moment when this 13 year old beanpole (I later found out that whilst he was a classy athlete he didn't know one end of a cricket bat from the other and was only playing to make up the numbers) came charging into view at a rate of knots, threw himself full length and caught the bloody thing one handed about a foot above the ground - bastard!

Bahseph

State Captain
Probably about 70-80m for me. Nailed a sweep all along the ground. I've played under 10 proper hardball games in my life. Have always been a better bowler and fielder but I'd say I love batting the most. My problem is I was blessed with just three attacking shots. Straight drive, sweep and leg glance. Don't think I've scored at more than a run a ball my whole life haha.

Victor Ian

International Coach
106m (according to google earth). I don't know how far it rolled on the bed after it plonked into the Maribyrnong river. Then out to my first whack of the the replacement ball.

TheJediBrah

106m (according to google earth). I don't know how far it rolled on the bed after it plonked into the Maribyrnong river. Then out to my first whack of the the replacement ball.
haha wouldn't have been at the old Fairbairn park would it

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yeah mate - that's it!

Actually no it's not. The other one on Farnsworth Avenue across the river from Flemington racecourse (behind Vic Uni). My shot was a powerful straight drive slightly to the off side (right handed)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Ah yes one of the out-lying Footscray grounds.

There's so many cricket grounds bordering the Maribyrnong, I'd be willing to bet there's almost as many old cricket balls at the bottom of the river than golf balls

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is quite fun, this googling for my best hits distances. I hit a 6 once which cleared the clubroom, the back wall of which is 90m away. I don't know how far it rolled after that as I was not the fetchee.