• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee's action

Do you have any doubts regarding the legality of Brett Lee's action ?

• yes

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • no

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
I know we've probably had enough of these "(insert bowlers name) is a chucker" threads , but I just want to know your opinions on this.

Im extremely bored so I was just watching a match I taped on video , Australia v Sri Lanka at the WACA in 2002/03 (the match where Lehmann made his hundred & Hogg returned to the Aussie team).

Now watching the start of the Sri Lankan innings , Brett Lee was bowling seriously quick , being timed at 157 on one occasion.
Now a couple of times they did the slow-mo replay as he let the ball go (he'd just drawn attention to himself coz he was bowling so quick) , and to me it was absolutely blatant that he was throwing the ball , his arm was bent as it came over then at the point of release he straightened it , one of the commentators even commented "thats an interesting shot" & the next day Dennis Lillee was quoted in the papers saying "sometimes Brett's action dosent look great".
However the officials didnt raise an eyebrow & no one mentioned it again.

Bishen Bedi says he reckons there are 17 bowlers who have played international cricket within the last 5 years who have questionable actions , including Murali , Lee , Shoaib & James Kirtley.

Now Im not asking straight out if you think Lee chucks , just whether you have any doubts as to the legality of his action.

Craig

World Traveller
I think that is fine. I have never seen anything wrong.

I think Kirtley is in the boat as Murali. Both cant physically stragiten their arms.

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think we can really comment on a certain persons actions because its up to the ICC to decide. I have no doubt in Lee's action because he has not been outlawed by the ICC and its not a special delivery eg Murali's 'Doorsa'(I am not saying the doorsa illegal, just yet to be cleared)

masterblaster

International Captain
I reckon his action's fine, and quite simply he has bigger things to worry about (injury) than his bowling action.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
To be honest, I don't watch the bowlers actions in cricket. Even if I did, I would not be able to tell, without any doubt, that a bowler is chucking, even from television replays. I leave it up to the ICC and the UWA to decide who chucks and who doesn't.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Brett Lees action is fine, trust me, you cant intentionally chuck when bowling at that speed, one thing that doesn't help people watching, i think his elbow hyperextends slightly - but the topis is really irrelevant as his action has been cleared many times and the ICC has made its ruling

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've never accused Bret Lee of being a chucker, other than a pie chucker ;)

But seriously I have full faith in the ICC's format of deciding whether actions are legal or not. If Lee is passed in the ICC's book then he is in mine because I'm not going to pretend to know more about the topic than the experts.

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
the ICC cleared him.....that's all that matters.

and personally i don't think he chucked in the first place.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Both Shoaib and Brett appear to have a chucking action especially with the "Effort Ball", however Shoaib does have a hyper extension so maybe that is the reason. I have seen slo mo's of him returning a ball from teh boundry and his elbow bends backwards so far that it hurts just to watch!. If the same is true for Brett then I think that explains it. Besides both have been cleared by ICC so *shrugg*.

to answer I think he does with the effort ball but as a poster stated above that he has a hyperextension so that would probably create the illusion of him chucking.

rgrds

Tom Halsey

International Coach
When he is bowling at his normal pace, his action is legal.

But, when he is bowling incredibly quickly, I reckon he chucks.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I really cant see the flaw in lee's action, he bowls like a perfectly normal right hander, it may be because he is extremely quick and people cant get over that fact.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
When he is bowling normal pace, his action is legal, not disputing that.

But when he gets express, he chucks IMO.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
His arm is as straight as a bolt all the way through his action how can he chuck (congrats for reaching 1500 Hals)

Craig

World Traveller
Armadillo said:
His arm is as straight as a bolt all the way through his action how can he chuck (congrats for reaching 1500 Hals)
1499 actually :P ;)

I have never seen anything wrong.