• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jason Gillespie vs Darren Gough

Who was the better bowler in international cricket

• Jason Gillespie

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Darren Gough

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is actually a very close battle.

Dizzy had the better record, but Goughy often bowled better than his figures suggested. And who can forget that tour of Australia when something like 7-8 chances were dropped from his bowling.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really close at all

IMO, Dizzy is sometimes underrated because McGrath was a contemporary but he was a very fine bowler in his own right

Reactions: vcs

listento_me

U19 Captain
If I'm picking an ODI XI, then its Goughy all day long and twice on Sundays. He had one of the best reverse swinging yorkers outside of Pakistan and he was just such a sensation when he got going in the 50 over game.

In tests, it's a lot closer, although Gough had a habit of picking up wickets in clumps and that's the type of guy you can use as a first change bowler. Might not always be consistent but you know he can unnerve batsmen. Gillespie was slightly more consistent and just from memory, he seemed to have better control of runs. I think he complimented Warne and McGrath perfectly in that attack.

A combination of both forms and I'd probably pick em based on conditions. Humid and a dusty pitch, we go for Darren. Gillespie in seaming conditions.

So basically, I'm on the fence.

Zinzan

Why? Because Mullaly, Caddick and Ealham were in his team?
That he was a fine bowler in his own right. It's the Windies 1980s fast bowler argument here isn't it... Is it better for your record to have a champion bowler/bowlers at the other end or is it better to have hacks so you'll likely get most of the wickets?

I've generally thought being an excellent bowler in an excellent bowling attack would reduce your changes of taking big-wicket hauls, but does generally allow you to take wickets at a slightly lower average. Just intuitively, I don't have any science behind that theory.

Burgey

How good is that clip at about the seven minute mark where he sets up Lara so well? Jeez he was a good bowler. Shame he had so many injuries really.

TheJediBrah

This is actually a very close battle.

Dizzy had the better record, but Goughy often bowled better than his figures suggested. And who can forget that tour of Australia when something like 7-8 chances were dropped from his bowling.
no it's really not

How good is that clip at about the seven minute mark where he sets up Lara so well? Jeez he was a good bowler. Shame he had so many injuries really.
I was a little kid at that game. Think it was my first day at the cricket too.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There was a period when Dizzy was the best around, McGrath included. It's perhaps forgotten how quick, accurate and hostile he was early in his career.

Teja.

Global Moderator
IIRC, Dizzy was flawless in India in 04/05 which was one of the first series I remember every match clearly from. Felt a bigger threat than McGrath with the new ball. It was against one of the best batting lineups ever at home and he felt like the perfect fast bowler.

Statsguru tells me 20 wickets @ 16 which is a fair effort in the circumstances, I think we can all agree.

listento_me

U19 Captain
IIRC, Dizzy was flawless in India in 04/05 which was one of the first series I remember every match clearly from. Felt a bigger threat than McGrath with the new ball. It was against one of the best batting lineups ever at home and he felt like the perfect fast bowler.

Statsguru tells me 20 wickets @ 16 which is a fair effort in the circumstances, I think we can all agree.
He certainly wasn't flawless but he was very good. Managed to get his lengths right on pitches where batsmen could eat you up if you erred.

He was basically an old pro who knew exactly what he needed to do.

I think he retired a year later.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I find it quite hard to assess their respective merits as bowlers because Dizzy's so far the better bloke.

He seems a genuinely all round good egg, whereas Gough embodies a particular strain of low-Tory, northern, little Englander wuckfittedness. See also Botham, IT.

Chrish

International Debutant
Gillespie was a very threatening bowler.. That bounce he generated with the pace was difficult for any batsman to face. Lacked the accuracy otherwise would have been even more devastating.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
yeah gough definitely the sort of guy who's playing reputation has suffered following the realisation since his retirement and entry into the media that he is a weapons grade dickhead.