• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Blain

U19 Captain
Please no Henry Nicholl's.. He'd be a walking wicket vs Starc, doesn't have the foot movement to deal with pace. Or any good pace bowlers. I'd probably go;

Latham
Guppy
KW
Munro
Watling (to swap with Munro if there are early wickets)
Neesham
CDG
Santner
Southee
Boult
Lockie

We really are missing another real batsman in the squad, which probably means Nicholls will play :wacko:

He'd probably come in for Colin De Grand. But I think a 6th bowling option will be very handy, can't see Neesh putting 10 good overs on the table. Munro isn't bowling I believe.

Howsie

International Captain
Nah, as you said, Nicholls has to play. You can't go into an ODI with a Watling, Neesham, de Grandhomme 5-6-7 with Munro at 4 too.

tbh I don't really know how de Grandhomme made this squad, his bowling is next to useless in limited overs cricket.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
The XI essentially picks itself...

Guptill
Latham
KW
Munro
Nicholls (not a fan though)
Neesham
Watling
Santner
Southee
Henry
Boult

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Australia carved through our soft lower order in the world cup and without Taylor and Elliott that softness extends up to the middle order too, though adding Watling helps a little. Starc can't bowl every over but there's a lot of names in our XI who won't want to face him at all.

Tough to see where runs are coming from - to compete the top three will have to score a lot and we'll have to bowl very well.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking forward to this!
But there are concerns about how this batting lineup will fare. I hope it's not a more or less repeat of WC Final. Would be nice to win at least one of the games.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We will miss Elliott since he was especially good on Australia wickets.

In 6 ODI's there all vs Australia, he scored 293 runs at an average of 59 and a SR of 86 with 1 hundred & 2 fifties.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, as you said, Nicholls has to play. You can't go into an ODI with a Watling, Neesham, de Grandhomme 5-6-7 with Munro at 4 too.

tbh I don't really know how de Grandhomme made this squad, his bowling is next to useless in limited overs cricket.
But is Nicholls a better bat than any of those players? If he is, it's by so little it's irrelevant.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We will miss Elliott since he was especially good on Australia wickets.

In 6 ODI's there all vs Australia, he scored 293 runs at an average of 59 and a SR of 86 with 1 hundred & 2 fifties.
Loved the big occasion, did the Jav.

I can't see us posting more than 250-270, which likely won't be competitive. For all the #bigground (or whatever it was) stuff during the World Cup, we have a lot of non-accumulators in our side. Williamson the only noted one, Latham okay, Watling played bugger all ODI cricket and the rest are all boundary hitters.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Ferguson has a lot in common with Cummins tbh. Decent pace, power through the crease, action is a stress fracture waiting to happen though

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
But is Nicholls a better bat than any of those players? If he is, it's by so little it's irrelevant.
I'd back him over de Grandhomme tbh. As you said, bigger grounds etc, don't know how effective de Grandhomme will be over there if he can't just clear the rope right away.

Zinzan

Loved the big occasion, did the Jav.

I can't see us posting more than 250-270, which likely won't be competitive. For all the #bigground (or whatever it was) stuff during the World Cup, we have a lot of non-accumulators in our side. Williamson the only noted one, Latham okay, Watling played bugger all ODI cricket and the rest are all boundary hitters.
Yep. I don't think we have enough runs in that squad either. It's probably a punt, but I'd prefer big Colin de to Nicholls, not that he's an ideal option or anything. Just like the way he strikes the ball, & feel the quick Aussie wickets can suit a natural ball striker.

Big Colin's batting reminds me of a poor mans Chris Cairns, just the clean nature of his striking.

Zinzan

I'd back him over de Grandhomme tbh. As you said, bigger grounds etc, don't know how effective de Grandhomme will be over there if he can't just clear the rope right away.
As I said above, I don't rate Colin that much, but I don't think he's just a plain old nasty slogger either. He can play proper cricket shots & very powerfully so. Shows how much I rate Nicholls I suppose :p

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
These silly back-2-back series is unnecessary, but then again, these are the top 2 sides in one-day Cricket right now.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as it cuts me, I would too. Colin needs a release valve in List A/ODI cricket and probably won't have one on big grounds and a team that might know a bit about him (unsure how scouting goes in this regard). But in saying that, Nicholls just doesn't look to me to be any good. If we've got you saying we need him to play because the rest of our middle order is cake, then it really says how shaky our middle order is. All averaging 20 or so at ODI level.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep. I don't think we have enough runs in that squad either. It's probably a punt, but I'd prefer big Colin de to Nicholls, not that he's an ideal option or anything. Just like the way he strikes the ball, & feel the quick Aussie wickets can suit a natural ball striker.

Big Colin's batting reminds me of a poor mans Chris Cairns, just the clean nature of his striking.
Colin has all the shots, there's no doubting that. Who knows, they might have him as a middle order floater around the powerplay, because he could do some serious damage in 5-7 overs with the field partly up. But I don't think you're getting 50s from him. He'll love the wickets over there but as has been seen in Test cricket already, he takes lowish percentage options that often run out at 30.

But given the fragility of Australia's batting when it swings, and a line-up that looks very good in Southee, Henry, Boult, Santner, maybe we'll only need 240. Bloody excited, I know that much. Just filthy I lived in Melbourne for three years, and we tour the year after.