• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Teaching tools for a complete novice

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey guys,

My son has recently started playing cricket.

I've played a little bit and can teach him the basics when I have time.

To date, I have done the same thing that my Dad did with me i.e. throw some balls, hang a ball from a tree, give him copies of Jack Pollard books, etc.

However, the world has changed since I was a kid and we are dealing with the Youtube generation.

Can anyone suggest some links that he can check out on the IPad?

Thanks in advance

social

There are Bob Woolmer's coaching videos on youtube. They are very good..
Cheers

So far he has bowled 3 overs and taken 9 wickets for 11 runs with 7 wides - blonde and a completely natural leggie so I expect to see him debut in Brisbane

Unfortunately, his only innings resulted in him being run out without facing as he didnt know what the white line was for :laugh: - my bad

social

He sat down and watched the first 2 last night - they're very good

Best bit was that Bob stated in the first 2 minutes that the forward defensive is the most important shot in the game

I've tried telling him that but I suspect that he thought that was just the old man being a boring old git so was more interested in switch hits before watching the video

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate, just remember one thing and one thing only.

#intent

It's the #AustralianWay

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the things a mate of mine who's a pretty highly accredited coach said to me was to make as many of the drills with young kids into competitions. Whether it's just throwing to hit a stump, biting the ball between a couple of cones or hitting a spot on the pitch when bowling. It does work when they're just getting into the game.

social

Mate, just remember one thing and one thing only.

#intent

It's the #AustralianWay
His first chat with the coach was like a parody of Oz cricket

Coach: "Who is your favourite player?"

Social Jnr: "Darren Sammy (dont ask) because he whacks it."

Coach: "Good stuff, the team needs fast runs. Do you bowl?"

Social Jnr: "I'm a leg spinner."

Coach: "Great, every team needs a leggie."

social

One of the things a mate of mine who's a pretty highly accredited coach said to me was to make as many of the drills with young kids into competitions. Whether it's just throwing to hit a stump, biting the ball between a couple of cones or hitting a spot on the pitch when bowling. It does work when they're just getting into the game.
Cheers

Pretty fortunate in that we have an area down the side of the house that is roughly the dimensions of a cricket net and I have marked it up for him including spots on the pitch to aim at

He responds to bribery and corruption so I have offered him $100 if he can land it on the spot 10 balls in a row with either me or his mum watching

Wife wasnt too impressed to see masking tape all over her tiles but if it keeps him out of her hair during the school holidays, she'll live with it