• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Dravid embaressed Hameed

Choora

State Regular
Twin Pak offensives in Frontier

Kadambari Murali
Peshawar, 20 March

It's 2-1 now with Pakistan's four-wicket win in Peshawar. And the man who made it happen is making a name.

A couple of days ago, Yasir Hameed was getting into the lift at the hotel along with one of India's Big Three. The Indian star smiled vaguely but failed to recognise the man (this after two games). He made it worse by telling him he bowled very well at the nets (he thought Hameed was one of the practice bowlers) and then when Hameed introduced himself, there was an embarrassed apology.

On Friday, in front of a home crowd the Pakistani opener ensured that no Indian player would forget him. He played almost a lone hand to take Pakistan to victory after an early collapse.

His 98 was not destructive, but it was perfect for the situation.

By the time he went, Pakistan knew they could do it. Abdul Razzaq and Moin Khan ensured there were no more glitches.

Earlier, India failed to cope with a wicket that was seaming. Tendulkar went for a duck and with Sehwag and Laxman also falling early, it needed something special from Ganguly and Dravid. They didn’t do enough.

This was a game that a lot of people were waiting for. It was clear from pre-match remarks that the mind games were on. This time it wasn't going to be Shoaib vs Sachin but Ganguly vs Pakistan and the Indian captain lost out.

By all accounts, the Pakistanis were not happy with the Indian captain's references to the Pakistan strike bowler in his press conferences and they were determined to show him the stuff they were made of.

Choora

State Regular
I still wonder, how is it possible for Dravid not to recognize someone with whome he had played two ODI within a week?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shouldn't the headline read how Hameed embarassed Dravid? Anyway I agree, how the hell did Dravid not recognise Hameed considering two ODIs were played before this?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, think about it - he's concentrating on the game, when Hameed was batting, he had his back to Dravid and was probably wearing a helmet...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At this level, you study your opponents. Every opponent. You know their strengths and weaknesses etc. I'm sure the opposition's opening batsman would of been studied, thus knowing who he is and generally what he looks like. I'm not criticising Dravid, just very very weird.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but studying them on the field doesn't mean you'd necessarily recognise them in a completely different context!

Rich2001

International Captain
It was probley just one of those cases where you know excatly who the person is but for the life of you can't remember the name of the guy, Dravid probley asumed if he said he bowled well in the nets he stood a good chance of getting it right as everyone normally has a go in the nets, or does Hameed just look like another Pakistan player and there was just a bit of confusion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
Yes, but studying them on the field doesn't mean you'd necessarily recognise them in a completely different context!
Okay you're not comprehending my point. Pre-match! Pre-tournament! I'm sure the whole Indian team, especially the senior players would of gathered together and went through each Pakistani player and thinking up tactics on how to get them out, how to bowl to them and how to face their bowling etc. Hameed would of definitely been one of those. It's got nothing to do with Hameed wearing a helmet, it's got nothing to do with Dravid being behind the stumps, its just common sense that both teams would know each other, especially the major players which an opener is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And I don't think you're following what I'm saying. Any pre-match analysis etc is concentrating on how they play, not what the look like. Take the player out of the game and into casual clothing, and it's a completely different scenario!

thierry henry

International Coach
LOL, surely with all the preparation that goes into international series (this one in particular), you would spot any opposing international a mile away. I can't agree with Marc at all, I find it pretty unbelievable that Dravid could fail to recognise someone whose dismissal he was presumably celebrating days earlier.

thierry henry

International Coach
Surely he would've seen Hameed in the field? At functions before and after matches? Shaking hands at the end of the games??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The only time they'd study him would be with the bat, since he's not a bowler.

When he bats his face is covered.

Also there's the small matter that when in the field players aren't concentrating on anything but the game (certainly someone like Dravid would be doing that)

It doesn't surprise me that taking someone out of context, Dravid didn't recognise him.