• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jeetan Patel or Dipak Patel

Who was the better spin bowler for New Zealand

• Jeetan Patel

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Dipak Patel

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Blocky

Banned
The very best coaches of this era for me are those that read the game extremely well, have a great analytical brain and can work on reviewing footage and formulating plans with their guys, know how to bring through young talent and how to foster it (and what to look for) and how to keep the senior pros performing, working with the millennial me generation being a strength in particular

Old school coaches were more about gut instinct tactics in my view, less analysis in the game, less formulation of plans and strategies.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
More autocratic in their nature, basically. Leadership is something I take a great deal of interest in, new style leaders are generally more democratic in their approach to providing buy-in and control in the process to players, and have something called EQ (Emotional Intelligence) which they've found is a greater indicator of leadership success than IQ. EQ is basically being able to identify and effectively manage emotions and reactions in the coach themselves and all their players. Dip, or John Wright, I wouldn't say have that. That's why I think Dip is such a wonderful coach for PNG, and was for us too (my club). Two non-professional outfits, lower level of development who benefit more greatly from an autocratic style where someone with a lot of knowledge takes the reins and does most of the work. At international level, where players think they know, or do know a lot of their game and how to perform, they're not as readily told what to do. They respond better to being a strong part of the process. Our best coaches (Rixon, Hesson) have been like that, as have our hugely successful rugby union coaches.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But yeah, also what Blocky is saying. Less structure, more gut instinct, not as well organised, just 'in my day we bowled at off stump 6 times an over, hit the bad balls and left the good'.

Dip is an incredibly good reader of the game, so good technically and does better than anyone ever has in NZ with young talent. It's just how he deals with professionals at the top level that is left wanting a bit. I thought he'd have taken a county side by now, but it hasn't happened so I doubt he harbours interest in coaching NZ or anyone else at the top level.

Blocky

Banned
What I'd like to see more with people like Dipak in our scene is that you pair him up with a rising talent, i.e Will Young from a few years ago, and have them do weekly check ins with one another, talk about the game, set goals and work on milestones, even if some of it is conducted via Skype conversations. The same with Paddybatch, the same with Gary Stead, etcetera.

I'd also like to see us engage people like Fleming more in a tactical role, having him review the team, set strategy (particularly for our spinners where he was the strongest captain ever for NZ) and advise on plans he would adopt for certain batsman.
Same with Shane Bond, have Boult, Wagner, Wheeler, Henry and Southee spend a couple of weeks in his region during the off season and go through bootcamp style trainings, also using him to help set and formulate plans.

It's so easy to get the video content through to anyone you need it for these days, but do it outside of season so there aren't too many cooks in the kitchen when it's gametime.

indiaholic

International Captain
Wonder why Wright was so loved by the Indian team. There would be quite a few massive egos to manage in that side.

Blocky

Banned
Wright works when you have a strong captain, the problem with Taylor is that he was never the type to own the team, made himself hard to reach and didn't know how to man-manage.
Ganguly on the other hand is the perfect style of player for a Wright like coach, you also had good structures in BCCI that empowered those two, where as Wright was being depowered by NZC.

I actually worry that Hesson is a little too same same with Williamson for them to make a long term effective pairing, Baz was much more the front man of the band than Williamson is.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, video and the occasional face-to-face is the future of international cricket. No doubt there has to be a permanent coach who goes around the world with them, but it's ridiculous that in this day and age, someone with the nous and know-how of Shane Bond is not involved because of lack of desire for travel. These guys could be involved with IPL on the ground, and still be pulling salaries on NZC's books offering a significant amount - much more than the best guy they can find who's prepared to do the travel.

Ricky Ponting said it last week too, it's a waste to have minds reduced to rubble in the media because it's a cushier, better paid job when they could be contributing to the fortunes of their national side.

Blocky

Banned
Imagine having Ponting take an interest in someone like Williamson or Latham, and talk through his strategies and how set himself up to achieve time and time again, against great opponents in his pomp.
He's the type of guy that would love that sort of opportunity too in my view.

indiaholic

International Captain
You could probably get in Dravid too of it was a work at home stint. Would be a massive advantage if they got to work with him.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I've got to say that a thread about 2 mediocre spinners from one of the worst countries at spin bowling, has actually turned into quite an interesting discussion. Usually threads get progressively worse, but this one has actually improved.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I've got to say that a thread about 2 mediocre spinners from one of the worst countries at spin bowling, has actually turned into quite an interesting discussion. Usually threads get progressively worse, but this one has actually improved.
That's two all time top ten NZ spinners to you.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeets the slightly better spin bowler. Dipper better at everything else and overall the slightly better cricketer.

Six-pack so under-performed with the bat though, had some proper talent.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Don't forget Bradburn.
I don't forget him easily, playing him about 20 years ago and was 4/12 in my seventh, had a catch go down in the gully so gave him a mouth full, ended up 4/42 at the end of my tenth and watched him proceed to plunder our bowling attack for 160 off about 60 balls, one guy he pumped five sixes and a four in a single over against,

Ridiculously he and Simon Doull were the two best club bats in the Waikato Valley scene for several seasons all those years ago; I even gave him **** about retiring and that was a few years before he got back into the Black Caps.