• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where will Jimmy finish?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Might as well.. Stokes and Woakes the new Kallis and Pollock.

I just hope we can be the new Australia of the 2000s.. :(

listento_me

U19 Captain
who's this biryani that keeps replying to me threads? doesn't the fool know he is on my ignore list

Maybe I should let him know via vegetable samosas, probably the only thing he understands :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
cherry picking blah blah but since 2010 the bloke has taken 319 at 25 a piece.

fella is undoubtedly blossomed into an absolute worldie.
Serious question? Has he underachieved over that period?

He's bowled some great spells, but a guy with his skills and bowling a lot of Tests in conducive conditions - should he have done better?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

He's bowled some great spells, but a guy with his skills and bowling a lot of Tests in conducive conditions - should he have done better?
I would say no. Averaging about 25 for a long period puts him roughly with Jason Gillespie who was very good but below the very top tier and that fits quite well for Anderson. Just that Anderson has stayed much fitter over his career than Dizzy ever could.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I would say no. Averaging about 25 for a long period puts him roughly with Jason Gillespie who was very good but below the very top tier and that fits quite well for Anderson. Just that Anderson has stayed much fitter over his career than Dizzy ever could.
Yeah, Dizzy was my point of comparison when thinking about the above post. Dizzy averaged 26.5 or so over his career.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Dizzy was my point of comparison when thinking about the above post. Dizzy averaged 26.5 or so over his career.
Ditto for Broad, take out the couple of years when he wasn't really ready but we kept picking him and he has a very similar record.

Groundking

International Debutant

His average also isn't helped by the period where the bowling attack basically became him and Broad, and he Bowled 566 and 531 overs in 2012 and 2013 (by far the most overs he's bowled in and individual year, whilst also bowling in ODI's too, so strong evidence to suggest he was overbowled) taking 100 wickets at 30.71.

Take those two years out and his average since 2010 is 22.42 having taken 226 wickets.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You know what would have stopped him from having to bowl so many overs? Taking wickets quicker ... :whistling:

But yeah, seriously, fair point.

FBU

International Debutant
His average also isn't helped by the period where the bowling attack basically became him and Broad, and he Bowled 566 and 531 overs in 2012 and 2013 (by far the most overs he's bowled in and individual year, whilst also bowling in ODI's too, so strong evidence to suggest he was overbowled) taking 100 wickets at 30.71.

Take those two years out and his average since 2010 is 22.42 having taken 226 wickets.
Anderson and Johnson were the only bowlers to bowl 500+ in two consecutive years
566.2 & 531.5
585.0 & 502.5 2008/2009

Walsh had 5003 overs in his legs and Anderson needs 553 to reach him. Can't see him bowling more than that.
Walsh played 429 f/c games 1807 wickets. 104 5fers 20 10fers!!!!!! Anderson is a lightweight with 201 f/c matches. Even if he played for Lancs till he was 40 he wouldn't even be close.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I guess the question to ask now is, of the bowlers Jimmy has surpassed in terms of wickets, is he greater than any of them and if so, how many?