• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where will Jimmy finish?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah - I've got mixed feelings about him touring Aus next winter.
It's a pretty unforgiving tour for guys who are a bit past their peak, which I suspect he will be and the prospect of him being marmalised out there doesn't appeal.
I think he's bowling better than he ever has.

Niggling injuries are a bit of a concern but I think he can go as long as his body and mind let him.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i love the pseudo intellectual history buffs who get so buttmad that some guy had the audacity to come along and take 400 plus test wickets and nearly 300 limited overs wickets with his immense consistency and all round game.

Blocky

Banned
i love the pseudo intellectual history buffs who get so buttmad that some guy had the audacity to come along and take 400 plus test wickets and nearly 300 limited overs wickets with his immense consistency and all round game.
He's one of the slowest in terms of test played to reach the mark. If Hadlee played as many tests as Anderson has, he'd have over 600 wickets. If any average player, plays 140 tests, they'll have 500 wickets.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does it matter? The bloke was a joke when he first toured here as a young bloke and has become an undeniably world class bowler.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's one of the slowest in terms of test played to reach the mark. If Hadlee played as many tests as Anderson has, he'd have over 600 wickets. If any average player, plays 140 tests, they'll have 500 wickets.
Average players tend not to play 140 tests

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Red Hill makes a fair point though that this record is bias to modern players and so it makes it a pretty crappy record

ImpatientLime

International Regular
cherry picking blah blah but since 2010 the bloke has taken 319 at 25 a piece.

fella is undoubtedly blossomed into an absolute worldie.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't care less about the combined wicket tally of all formats. Cricket has history beyond the last 3 decades.
Agree 100%, it's a BS stat.......and especially when your talking about a bloke that doesn't even play the short formats any more.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's not buttmad (whatever that is)

I think Anderson's a good bowler.

But who cares who tops a tally of the combined three formats? It's meaningless. One format has been around a decade and one's been around maybe 4 decades. Cricket's been round 150+ years.

When Trueman passed 300 wickets that was seen as monumental. Funny to think now

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Does it matter? The bloke was a joke when he first toured here as a young bloke and has become an undeniably world class bowler.
In fairness he came into that tour having missed an entire season of domestic cricket with a stress fracture of the back and he bowled pretty well in Sydney once he had a bit of mileage in his legs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well there being a reason he sucked doesn't mean he didn't suck.

Own it man. He was bad and became awesome. There's hope for Chris Jordan yet.*

*there isn't

listento_me

U19 Captain
England wont let him stay on to long if he is not performing that is for sure
Yeah - I've got mixed feelings about him touring Aus next winter.
It's a pretty unforgiving tour for guys who are a bit past their peak, which I suspect he will be and the prospect of him being marmalised out there doesn't appeal.
Yeah, I was worried that the summer just gone might be his last, but I'm no longer feeling that the end is in sight. He does seem to be picking up more injuries, though, and it'll only take one bad one to properly mess him up. Barring any such injuries, I think he'll retire at the end of the 2018 summer.
In fairness he came into that tour having missed an entire season of domestic cricket with a stress fracture of the back and he bowled pretty well in Sydney once he had a bit of mileage in his legs.
Really premature talk of Jimmy's career being over.

Injuries not withstanding, I feel her can easily play through the next 2 seasons and possibly a 3rd season. I feel he is still England's best bowler on his best day and has a lot to offer in terms of knowledge and experience to the younger guys like Woakes, Stokes, Wood et al.

However, once Jimmy is gone and Steyn retires, with Broad's career winding down, who will there be of that last breed of bowlers who played across multiple platforms? And will anyone from the current crop make it into the top 20 all time highest wicket takers?