• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spinner in the world today(tests) : Herath vs Ashwin vs Yasir Shah

Who is the best spinner at the moment? (Tests)

• Total voters

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I would go for

Yasir
Ashwin
Herath
Lyon

Yasir is the best all condition spinner around, Lyon is the most tenacious, Herath with the bets longevity and Ashwin with the most turn in helpful conditions.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Just read Yasir has 43 in only 6 tests this year. Now that is going under the radar. I'd still pick Lyon in an annual XI for 2017 but Shah isn't too far off. Plus he was pretty bad in Aus, but then again, it has been the death of most spinners. He has wickets and/or match winning spells pretty much everywhere else he has played.

subshakerz

International Coach
Just read Yasir has 43 in only 6 tests this year. Now that is going under the radar. I'd still pick Lyon in an annual XI for 2017 but Shah isn't too far off. Plus he was pretty bad in Aus, but then again, it has been the death of most spinners. He has wickets and/or match winning spells pretty much everywhere else he has played.
I actually think under a better captain, Yasir Shah could have had more impact in Australia.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He had a huge impact on giving our batsmen some sighters to play themselves into form.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lyon averaging 40 in the series with lots of stat padding wickets and was also part of a committee that coerced a young batsman into cheating. Truly the WPCOS.

Ashwin averaged 30 despite not even bowling all that well

Maharaj was really disappointing against India but has been superb in this series.

I think I still rate Lyon ahead of the other two (and Herath) but Maharaj is fast catching up and I wouldn't argue with anyone who rates the other three above Lyon.

Anyone changed their rankings?

Last edited:

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
No one's considering the best ranked spinner in the world? He's still the best spinner in India IMO & arguably the best in the world, even after we exclude his test ranking.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf, Ashwin could've averaged low 20s in that SA series if he hadn't had 4 catches dropped off him in that one innings.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No one's considering the best ranked spinner in the world? He's still the best spinner in India IMO & arguably the best in the world, even after we exclude his test ranking.
So the best spinner in the world now doesn't get picked when playing away from home? His ranking was protected by bring left out, only lose 1% for missing a game.

cnerd123

likes this
So the best spinner in the world now doesn't get picked when playing away from home? His ranking was protected by bring left out, only lose 1% for missing a game.
I looked into it, and not only is Jadeja ranked higher as a Bowler, but also ranked higher as an Allrounder than Ashwin.

lol