• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spinner in the world today(tests) : Herath vs Ashwin vs Yasir Shah

Who is the best spinner at the moment? (Tests)

• Total voters

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
That's a good point. Most of the current ones look less like athletes and more like unhappily married low-level accountants leading lives of quiet desperation. We've had some shockers in the recent past too from Paul Wiseman to Kaneria to the king of them all in Ramesh Powar. Vettori seems like a rare exception.
In Herath's case he is ACTUALLY an employee at a Bank.

Bijed

International Regular
Mehedi Hasan - don't understand why there is a debate tbh
I won't deny that he was extremely impressive in the Bangladesh vs England series, but he needs to get a bit fatter before we can start comparing him with the names in the poll.

Bijed

International Regular
In Herath's case he is ACTUALLY an employee at a Bank.
Would explain why he's so good at dismissing batsmen before they can open their account.

Can you imagine how much more ugly Ashwin would be with a bigger forehead? Hire Faf, they should not.
He already has such a massive brain, imagine if it had the extra space a Faf-like forehead would give him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why are so many spinners are unfit, ugly and generally unathletic looking people? It's a blight on the sport. Every time one of my Chinese friends takes a peek at my stream they happen to see Ashwin going about his business and they shake their heads in disbelief at how this bloke is a professional athlete. How can you hope to attract any sort of following to the game like that? The SC teams in particular need to hire Faf as their trainer.
Because if they were athletic they would bowl fast or bat.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Would explain why he's so good at dismissing batsmen before they can open their account.
Which probably makes him one of the worst Bank Clerks of all time. I'm surprised his Manager approves his leave requests all the time.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Is there anything to the idea that being portly helps spin by way of imparting a more stable base. A petite bowler would lose part of the force exerted on the ball in their own counter contortion, whereas the fatty, with more mass, is less effected and so the ball goes forward truer?
Instead of wickets per match, perhaps spinners should be measured by way of wickets per kilogram. Who has the most ever wickets per kilogram? Perhaps the skinny alien of Lyon compares much better this way?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
A lack of height certainly helps a spinner as you can get more loop without losing your length. But height helps you bowl quicker and extract bounce, so it depends on the style you want to bowl and the surfaces you play on.

I don't know if weight is a factor.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How depressing is it when a 6'5" bloke turns up to preseason then says he's a spinner? Happened a few times at our club over the years. They get out of the car and you're thinking they'll take the new rock (they still would on the SC tbf) then they measure out a four step run and lob down an offie.

Breaks your heart.

TheJediBrah

How depressing is it when a 6'5" bloke turns up to preseason then says he's a spinner? Happened a few times at our club over the years. They get out of the car and you're thinking they'll take the new rock (they still would on the SC tbf) then they measure out a four step run and lob down an offie.

Breaks your heart.
You've seen that "club cricketer problems" video going around facebook I take it

TheJediBrah

That's a good point. Most of the current ones look less like athletes and more like unhappily married low-level accountants leading lives of quiet desperation. We've had some shockers in the recent past too from Paul Wiseman to Kaneria to the king of them all in Ramesh Powar. Vettori seems like a rare exception.
Vettori being considered "athletic"?

Maybe in comparison to Warne, Herath and co. but certainly not in general

Howe_zat

Audio File
it is quite easily herath. he's proved he can turn matches by himself against the best sides in the world over the last 5 years.
Herath is gun but is this actually the case? seems like he just always cleans up when he has the runs to defend, especially in the 4th innings, rather than bringing SL back from behind. Can't think of an example of the latter recently

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Herath is gun but is this actually the case? seems like he just always cleans up when he has the runs to defend, especially in the 4th innings, rather than bringing SL back from behind. Can't think of an example of the latter recently
This is true. He does incredibly well in the 4th innings. Which I guess is his job. My comment on turning matches on his own I guess is more directed towards him cleaning up - with or without big runs to defend.

However here is a recent example Herath getting SL back in the hunt
3rd Test: Sri Lanka v Australia at Colombo (SSC), Aug 13-17, 2016 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

SL 355
Aus 3-284, 379 a.o. Herath 6fer

Victor Ian

International Coach
...shows spinner's class by showing the he bowled out Australians......in the subcontinent. I'm not sure that's as compelling as you think it might have been.