• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing lexicon

Howe_zat

Audio File
ansari, noun

Something which is useful for a completely different task to that which it is currently being employed.

"You can't use a hammer on screw thread bolt, come on. That's a complete ansari."

~

to faf, verb

To be punished for something that everyone does.

"Look, I'm no saint, but a £5,000 fine for using a live stream? I'm getting totally faffed over here."

~

australian selection, noun, idiom

An example of failure to complete the most basic part of one's job

"The Democratic Party's failure to remain in office ahead of Trump is considered by some political writers an australian selection."

Bijed

International Regular
I know it's an obvious one, but I've seen a fair few cases of people using 'Bell' as a verb to mean fail under pressure, for example "I was getting top marks in all the mock exams, but when the real thing came around I just Belled it"

I eagerly await the day when we of CricketWeb uniformly speak a language reminiscent of english, but with every adjective, verb and noun replaced by a cricketer's name

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
To review ones situation is to "Watson it"......."I really can't go on like this, I need to take stock and Watson what is important to me"

Blocky

Banned
Downhill skiing, otherwise known as the Steve "The Myth" Smith...

"Look I mean I could attempt to hit on those pretty girls over there, but Smithing those ugly girls are a far better chance of a good innings tonight"

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To review ones situation is to "Watson it"......."I really can't go on like this, I need to take stock and Watson what is important to me"
Anyone else listening to Chris Rogers talk about reviews with Watson today on the radio?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I heard Katich mention one time when he was given lbw and watto told him not to review it (the irony)

turned out it was not out
Before that, Rogers talked about how there was the infamous one, where KP was in the background daring Watson to review it. Watson went up and said he was plumb, but Rogers thought that he got hit outside the line so convinced him to review it. He was plumb. So the ABC boys were hanging it on Rogers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vaughan verb to curdle and become unpalatably bitter immediately after a sell - by date.

I think you'll have to have your coffee black. The milk's vaughaned. There's no way you'll be able to stomach it

Healy noun a small and foul smelling lump of marsupial excreta. fig. nonsense, claptrap

"There's no chance Ranatunga is half the batsman Thorpe was. You're talking complete healy."

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Before that, Rogers talked about how there was the infamous one, where KP was in the background daring Watson to review it. Watson went up and said he was plumb, but Rogers thought that he got hit outside the line so convinced him to review it. He was plumb. So the ABC boys were hanging it on Rogers.
Need more context. I can see Pietersen laughing in the background but I can't place them.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Voge: (verb) to deceive or deliberately cause (someone) to believe something that is not true, especially for personal gain

Lara: (verb) to pull off or achieve an incredulous feat

Flintoffed: (adj) Affected by alcohol to the extent of losing control of one's faculties or behaviour.

"I was so f**king Flintoffed man, I thought I could pull a Lara but totally Voged it with that last jump. What a f**king Pollard."

Bijed

International Regular
hick, verb

To perform significantly below an expected level
"The company thought their latest product line would relieve their financial struggles, but it hicked."

See also ramprakash

~

herath noun

The undisputed leader of a particular subject or field

"During the 1930s, Albert Einstein was the herath of theoretical physics"

~

smith verb

To improve significantly and unexpectedly

"I feared that my father's illness might be terminal, but thankfully his condition smithed"

Howe_zat

Audio File
root in asia, noun

something that looks excellent but does not notably change the situation

"Don't get carried away with the value of the pound going up today, it's probably just going to be a root in asia"

~

chapelli, noun

an outdated opinion

"many senior members of the Church of England continue to express chappellis on the possibility of female bishops"

~

corrin, verb

to talk exclusively about England

"I don't mind John Inverdale, but his tendency to corrin during the six nations usually annoys the Welsh fans."

Bijed

International Regular
geraint, verb

to improve in one way whilst simultaneously getting worse in another

"During the middle years of the Second World War, Germany's military situation gerainted as they won victories in North Africa but suffered defeats in Russia"

~

johnson, verb

to fluctuate unpredictably between two extremes

"the weather was crazy yesterday - it johnsoned from heatwaves to torrential rainstorms and back again within just a few hours"

Bijed

International Regular
Well, since I've apparently nothing better to do with my time, I've put what we've got so far into a handy PDF making it easy to introduce CW english to your friends!

Seriously, though, if we can get a good number more words, I'd actually like to get it printed as a birthday present for my dad - to this end, if someone with some design ability took it upon themselves to design a decent cover I would be unspeakably appreciative.

Not sure why some formatting errors have appeared, they're ok on the original document.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Katich verb

To break a provocateur's neck with a swift blow

My child just kept crying through the night but he sure shut his face after I slipped him the ol' sneaky Katich as he was drifting off