• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing lexicon

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dawson's selection, noun

A decision which is in all likelihood a bad one, but is justified by the decision-maker based on something quite specific which turns out to be a disappointment anyway.

"Whilst many of the general public were hardly enthusiastic about Theresa May being elected as Prime Minister by the Conservative party, they did largely concede that she would at least be a strong leader and personality, though this assumption turned out to be somewhat inaccurate."
Also known as A Liam Letdown

srbhkshk

International Captain
Dawson's selection, noun

A decision which is in all likelihood a bad one, but is justified by the decision-maker based on something quite specific which turns out to be a disappointment anyway.

"Whilst many of the general public were hardly enthusiastic about Theresa May being elected as Prime Minister by the Conservative party, they did largely concede that she would at least be a strong leader and personality, though this assumption turned out to be somewhat inaccurate."

~

Rabada's send off, noun

An action that, whilst indefensible and definitely wrong, attracts an apparently disproportionate punishment.

"Look, I know I shouldn't have eaten the chocolates my Dad brought for my Mum's birthday, but getting grounded for six months? Really?"

~

Cook and Ballance's slow scoring, noun

A course of action which attracts some criticism, but is soon shown to have been the right approach to things.

"One member of the expedition was mocked by the others for suggesting they should delay their departure until the approaching grey clouds had passed, but she had the last (albeit somewhat hollow) laugh when the others set off regardless and were drowned when their boat was sunk by the storm."
Aren't the example sentences supposed to contain the phrase?

srbhkshk

International Captain
Bangladesh's Champion's Trophy, noun

A situation in which someone achieves far more than they expected and begins to cautiously hope for the ultimate prize, only to have their dream brutally crushed.

"Bill had a massive crush on the hottest girl in his class, but knew he didn't stand a chance. So he was both surprised and thrilled to receive a text from her asking him to come over so that they could spend the night together. Sadly, it turned out to be a Bangladesh's Champions Trophy when he received another text saying 'Sorry, meant to send that to your brother'."
also the antonym of Pakistan's Champion's Trophy

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan's Slip Cordon, noun

Someone who squanders opportunities that others would love to have, but it doesn't matter since another one will come along soon***

He did a Pakistan's Slip Cordon by oversleeping and missing his HR interview at Google, but Facebook saw his project on GitHub and made him a better offer anyway.

*** also see Federer's breakpoints

vcs

viriya's cricrate, noun

A labor of love that may not attract significant appreciation or monetary reward.

My Ph.D. thesis has become a bit of a viriya's cricrate at this point, as I could easily chuck it and get paid handsomely for doing **** all at some MNC, but I'm gonna do whatever it takes to get this over the line.

vcs

Bevan at 6, noun

Something that invariably gets you out of a tight spot when you need it the most

I thought I was totally screwed when I completely lost my way driving in the desert, but my phone GPS fortunately did a Bevan at 6 and got me to a nearby gas station.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Vettori verb

to make an admirable contribution to an embarrassing performance in the interests of making said performance marginally less embarrassing.

"I knew I was gonna fail that paper so pulled an all nighter to Vettori the situation a bit so my parents wouldn't stop paying my rent"

or

Vettori noun

Someone who is astoundingly effective while appearing to do very little.

"I thought Josh was going to be fired for sure but it turns out he's a total Vettori, get more done that the rest of the department put together in his morning shift."

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Following on from certain discussions in the match thread

claim Anderson's past it
, verb

To make a statement which is quickly demonstrated to be false

My brother's trying to avoid his ex at the moment, so when she knocked on our door the other day, I told her he was out. Turned out I'd claimed Anderson's past it, as he came out of the living room right behind me at that very moment.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
philander, verb

1. To continually confound expectations to the point where nobody is able to say your results flatter you

"At first my new circle of friends all thought I was a bit of a loser, but once they saw me on a few nights out they realised I really did philander"

2. To have *** with lots of different women

"At first my new circle of friends all thought I was a bit of a loser, but once they saw me on a few nights out they realised I really did philander"

Bijed

International Regular
ashwin, verb

To land yourself in hot water by saying something stupid or careless, then make things worse by attempting to talk your way out of it

"First Chris got himself in trouble with the management for sending emails making lewd comments to the CEO's secretary, but he really ashwinned when he tried to justify his actions by claiming she'd slept with nearly everyone in the office anyway."

cnerd123

likes this
Bhuvi, verb

As in: To Get Bhuvi'd

To miss out on a job/role/opportunity to another candidate for no discernible reason.

"Kumar has met his sales figures every quarter for the last 2 years, yet they decided to cut him for the fresh college grad with no experience. Poor guy just got Bhuvi'd."

Bijed

International Regular
Pollock's rating, noun

A supposedly critical assessment of something which is overly generous, often due to not actually being grounded in reality.

'My annual performance review went really well, but only because I was given credit for dealing with clients I've actually never had anything to do with. Not complaining, since it meant I got a good pay rise, but it was something of a Pollock's rating.

Shaun Pollock: South Africa player ratings following Test series defeat to England | Cricket News | Sky Sports

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pick Jennings, verb

To use something despite it being broken.

'I can't get my phone screen repaired until Monday, so I'm going to have to pick jennings for a while.'

Minus points for not using the gerund form and taking advantage of ihis name ending in "ing".

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Philander verb

Eating, and not being able to stop eating, and then eating more. Then eating in excess on top of that.

'Bruh it was wack, had four Halal snack packs, two big macs and a deep fried pizza yesterday. I just couldn't stop myself Philandering like a filthy disgusting pig even though I had a diet coke to even it out, think I'll call a sickie today."

cnerd123

likes this
Philander verb

Eating, and not being able to stop eating, and then eating more. Then eating in excess on top of that.

'Bruh it was wack, had four Halal snack packs, two big macs and a deep fried pizza yesterday. I just couldn't stop myself Philandering like a filthy disgusting pig even though I had a diet coke to even it out, think I'll call a sickie today."
you'll like the latest episode of the CW Podcast

Bijed

International Regular
Philander verb

Disappointed this rhyming didn't carry on through the whole thing tbh