• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing lexicon

Bijed

International Regular
In honour of the recently retired:

Misbah's twin 99s, noun

An upsetting or mildly tragic sequence of events that epitomises a particular person

"Ken had spent his whole life being rejected and bullied, so it was perhaps not surprising that Misbah's twin 99s occurred after his death when the parish church refused him a plot in it's cemetery and the local funeral director's wouldn't organise his funeral."

Misbah's victory in the Caribbean, noun

A deservedly noteworthy success that caps off an impressive and distinguished career.

"Sue had dedicated her entire life to the study of genetics, so it was a wonderful Misbah's victory in the Caribbean for her final research project to lead to the development of the cure for Parkinson's disease."

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'll have a go around

Gabriel's Hoick
noun
A situation in which all or almost all of the hard work is done but it gets erased by an utter brain fade
Greg managed to get a dinner date with the hottest girl at work but found himself in quite the Gabriel's Hoick when he told her she looked "kinda like a cow when she chewed" driving home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i'll have a go around

Gabriel's Hoick
noun
A situation in which all or almost all of the hard work is done but it gets erased by an utter brain fade
Greg managed to get a dinner date with the hottest girl at work but found himself in quite the Gabriel's Hoick when he told her she looked "kinda like a cow when she chewed" driving home.

Now now, Shady, you are in a safe place. You can always admit it was you with that Gabriel's Hoick on the date. :p

Bijed

International Regular
mick lewis, noun

Someone only known or remembered for doing very badly at something.

"Eddie the Eagle is known across the world for being a terrible ski jumper. You could say he's the mick lewis of his sport."

~

mcgain, noun

A terrible debut performance.

"Erica was thrilled to have landed the lead role in The Phantom of the Opera as her first Broadway appearance, but sadly she was got so nervous that she delivered a mcgain, having forgotten most of her lines in the first act."

Howe_zat

Audio File
duminy, noun

Something that is fit for purpose but does not work very well.

'It took me ages to get the sheets done because of our duminy of a printer.'

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Emerson's Call noun

An ill-judged ruling, leading to the demise of one's professional career, made with a vain belief in one's own faculties while defying the leading expertise in the field.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pankaj, verb

to get a long overdue opportunity, only to underperform

'I've been offered the position of forum moderator which I'd been working towards for a while now. Hope I don't Pankaj it. '

see also: harsh

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
*****'s likes, noun

Something that is diminished in value due to its ubiquity.

Uncle giving unsolicited advice to Nephew, "Getting an Engineering degree in India is a *****'s likes beta, every Tom, Dick and Harry has one these days. Study law instead."

Bijed

International Regular
Bangladesh's Champion's Trophy, noun

A situation in which someone achieves far more than they expected and begins to cautiously hope for the ultimate prize, only to have their dream brutally crushed.

"Bill had a massive crush on the hottest girl in his class, but knew he didn't stand a chance. So he was both surprised and thrilled to receive a text from her asking him to come over so that they could spend the night together. Sadly, it turned out to be a Bangladesh's Champions Trophy when he received another text saying 'Sorry, meant to send that to your brother'."

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
England in June, noun

Something that is promised to deliver a service free of an undesirable trait, but ends up doing the complete opposite

Jake promised me that if I switched my cell phone provider to his that I wouldn't have any more dropped calls, but it just turned out to be just another England in June!

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
england in june, noun

something that is promised to deliver a service free of an undesirable trait, but ends up doing the complete opposite

jake promised me that if i switched my cell phone provider to his that i wouldn't have any more dropped calls, but it just turned out to be just another england in june!
:laugh:.....GAGF ****.

Bijed

International Regular
Dawson's selection, noun

A decision which is in all likelihood a bad one, but is justified by the decision-maker based on something quite specific which turns out to be a disappointment anyway.

"Whilst many of the general public were hardly enthusiastic about Theresa May being elected as Prime Minister by the Conservative party, they did largely concede that she would at least be a strong leader and personality, though this assumption turned out to be a Dawson's selection."

~

Rabada's send off, noun

An action that, whilst indefensible and definitely wrong, attracts an apparently disproportionate punishment.

"Look, I know I shouldn't have eaten the chocolates my Dad brought for my Mum's birthday, but getting grounded for six months? Bit of a Rabada's send off really."

~

Cook and Ballance's slow scoring, noun

A course of action which attracts some criticism, but is soon shown to have been the right approach to things.

"One member of the expedition was mocked by the others for suggesting they should delay their departure until the approaching grey clouds had passed, but she had the last (albeit somewhat hollow) laugh when the others set off regardless and were drowned when their boat was sunk by the storm, showing he advice to have been a case of Cook and Ballance's slow scoring"

Last edited: