Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree291Likes

Thread: Cricketing lexicon

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    i'll try some more now, cricketer's lexicon the dale steyn edition

bop shami over long on, verb (idiom)

To spontaneously do something that would have been helpful in the past, well after it would be helpful

Trent's been doing a lot of extra hours lately but that promotion's been and gone - reckon he's just bopping shami over long on now

steyn eyes, noun

A glower, often with a loud scream, given to an offending individual/s after triumph against them

Everybody sitting in the bingo room felt chills when Mavis brought out the steyn eyes after a close victory, sending off the ladies from down the road with a vociferous glare and howl
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || D Elgar || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || Misbah-ul-Haq || F du Plessis || MM Ali || VD Philander || TG Southee || HMRKB Herath || JR Hazlewood

#FeelTheVern

macgill, verb

Something impressive and meritorious in it's own right but overshadowed by a similar but better alternative.

"Oblivion is still a fun game to play, but to be honest, these days it's just a macgill compared to Skyrim."
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

o'keefe, verb

To emphatically silence one's critics.

"Everyone was saying that Marlon Brando was past it, but then he o'keefed with his performance in The Godfather."
    vcs, Shady Slim, zorax and 2 others like this.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Jayawardene, noun

When an overseas trip turns into a disaster

"Danny had been looking forward to his much needed holiday for months, but it turned into a real Jayawardene when he lost his passport and got mugged on day one"

Mahela, noun
    When you are brilliant at something when you do it at home but are pathetic when you try to repeat it outside

"Mark aced all his mock A/L papers but he turned into a real a Mahela when he sat the real exams"
    Bijed and indiaholic like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Shakib, noun

A colleague who is far more competent and productive than everyone else.

"Mike's looking for a job elsewhere, I think he's sick of being the office Shakib."

~

afghanistan flag, noun

A lack of recognition

"I've got results up to our best ever but not one word of thanks for it. They've been giving me the afghanistan flag all year."
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 19-03-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Keep thinking it'll be alright if I just get on the road
    If I run I can free my worried mind
    Keep thinking of the day I die when I lose my heavy load
    But I wouldn't want to leave you behind

Pujara's strike rate, noun

Something that could be legitimately seen as needing improvement, but is unfairly focused over other, more important issues

"Whilst it was true that Bob took rather a lot of sick days compared to everyone else, this became a Pujara's strike rate used to divert the blame from the outdated IT systems when the management were trying to determine why profits were falling so drastically."
    Last edited by Bijed; 20-03-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Black_Warrior, zorax, vcs and 2 others like this.

School Boy/Girl Captain SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Rabada, verb

A childish slap that actually hurts

"Looking at her from a distance not greater than 10 yards, I gestured for her to come sit next to me, which she did and also went as far as to Rabadaed my left cheek--I still feel the rejection even today."

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Athers can no doubt fill you in himself. It's definitely lighthearted though, not calling him a lying malicious bastard.

But the lying part... well, he's so damn convincing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    A few years ago on cricsim Athlai told everyone he was a horse and many people believed him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    I'd like to respond to this with "it made sense in context" but it really, really didn't
    I miss mafia. It helped me harness manipulation skills I rarely use due to me being so mild mannered.
    zorax likes this.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijed View Post
    Pujara's strike rate, noun

Something that could be legitimately seen as needing improvement, but is unfairly focused over other, more important issues

"Whilst it was true that Bob took rather a lot of sick days compared to everyone else, this became a Pujara's strike rate used to divert the blame from the outdated IT systems when the management were trying to determine why profits were falling so drastically."
    See also section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act (Cth).
    Shady Slim likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Best. Thread. Ever.
    CW has some amazingly creative people.
    "It's not about the physical age but your mental strength. Sometimes you feel mentally tired and feel as if enough is enough but this team has given so much to me, so much strength and inspiration, the way they are playing, the way they are proving everyday everybody wrong, that is giving me the energy to play for Pakistan. " - Misbah ul Haq

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    i'll try my hand at a couple more

mccullum's fallacy, noun

The belief that in an event of which there are multiple random chance based outcomes, a run of one outcome appearing repeatedly means that the other is likelier to appear on the next occurrence

Johnny bet on the red on the roulette wheel because the wheel had come up black five times in a row, meaning surely it had to come up red eventually... when it didn't, Johnny's realised that the assuredness he had was no more than McCullum's Fallacy

Blocky, noun

A situation that has inspired regret and distaste for a past involvement or action that was easily avoidable with obvious bad consequences, someone entered in to anyway

TJ was in quite the blocky after going out in the sun without sunscreen or a hat and unsurprisingly getting burnt, leading him to look like a fool presenting the report to his boss.
    zorax likes this.

handscomb, verb

To cause controversy by the use of one's hand.

"Anti-Argentinian sentiment was rife in England after Diego Maradona handscombed in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final."

~

kohli, noun

Hubris, arrogant confidence

"Bill's normally a pretty quiet guy, but after a few pints he does tend to exhibit some pretty serious kohli, especially if there are women around."

Hi everyone,

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I'd like to adapt this thread into a short book as a present for my dad and have now used the online service Lulu.com to create such a thing. However, I appreciate that a large amount of the content that is in the book is not that which I have written. Hence, before I go any further, I have contacted James regarding this and his main concern that the users of this thread were comfortable with this, so please raise any objections to the following here. At this point I would like to make clear that I do not intend or have any desire to make any money from this. With that said, you can view this (currently private) link to the book's Lulu store page (the price of £2.63 represents the production cost of the book so any money hypothetically paid by someone would all go to Lulu.com) and a PDF of the content that would be in the book is attached to this post.

What I would ideally be looking to do would be simply:

• Print a handful of copies for private use
    • Advertise the book to my friends on Facebook etc, as I knew a few people who I think might like it and also one or two who might be interested in joining CW
    • Open the Lulu link to be public, so that theoretically people might just find it in the store

I apologise if what I have already done is disagreeable to anyone and also in advance to anyone who is not comfortable with what I have written above. I sincerely hope you can forgive me if this is you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bijed; 02-04-2017 at 03:56 AM.
    zorax, Adders and vcs like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    bumrah, verb

to perform effectively in an aesthetically ridiculous manner

"Don't let the mad scientist hair fool you, Professor Smith bumrahs his way through all his lectures."

~

swann's cat, noun

a spurious excuse

"First year students will always give you some rubbish swann's cat about why their essay hasn't been done."

~

Bijed, noun

A questionable project undertaken with admirable diligence

'Geoff's spent so long on building a shed entirely out of Lego, it's turning into a bit of a Bijed'

breaking the fourth wall a bit by going from cricketers lexicon to cricketwebber's lexicon there

although tbf slim shady did it first
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

Episode #26 - More Maligned than Shane Watson

Reddit
    iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information