• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing lexicon

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'll try some more now, cricketer's lexicon the dale steyn edition

bop shami over long on, verb (idiom)

To spontaneously do something that would have been helpful in the past, well after it would be helpful

Trent's been doing a lot of extra hours lately but that promotion's been and gone - reckon he's just bopping shami over long on now

steyn eyes, noun

A glower, often with a loud scream, given to an offending individual/s after triumph against them

Everybody sitting in the bingo room felt chills when Mavis brought out the steyn eyes after a close victory, sending off the ladies from down the road with a vociferous glare and howl

Bijed

International Regular
macgill, verb

Something impressive and meritorious in it's own right but overshadowed by a similar but better alternative.

"Oblivion is still a fun game to play, but to be honest, these days it's just a macgill compared to Skyrim."

Bijed

International Regular
o'keefe, verb

To emphatically silence one's critics.

"Everyone was saying that Marlon Brando was past it, but then he o'keefed with his performance in The Godfather."

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Jayawardene, noun

When an overseas trip turns into a disaster

"Danny had been looking forward to his much needed holiday for months, but it turned into a real Jayawardene when he lost his passport and got mugged on day one"

Mahela, noun
When you are brilliant at something when you do it at home but are pathetic when you try to repeat it outside

"Mark aced all his mock A/L papers but he turned into a real a Mahela when he sat the real exams"

Howe_zat

Audio File
Shakib, noun

A colleague who is far more competent and productive than everyone else.

"Mike's looking for a job elsewhere, I think he's sick of being the office Shakib."

~

afghanistan flag, noun

A lack of recognition

"I've got results up to our best ever but not one word of thanks for it. They've been giving me the afghanistan flag all year."

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Pujara's strike rate, noun

Something that could be legitimately seen as needing improvement, but is unfairly focused over other, more important issues

"Whilst it was true that Bob took rather a lot of sick days compared to everyone else, this became a Pujara's strike rate used to divert the blame from the outdated IT systems when the management were trying to determine why profits were falling so drastically."

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rabada, verb

A childish slap that actually hurts

"Looking at her from a distance not greater than 10 yards, I gestured for her to come sit next to me, which she did and also went as far as to Rabadaed my left cheek--I still feel the rejection even today."

Athlai

Not Terrible
Athers can no doubt fill you in himself. It's definitely lighthearted though, not calling him a lying malicious bastard.

But the lying part... well, he's so damn convincing.
A few years ago on cricsim Athlai told everyone he was a horse and many people believed him.
I'd like to respond to this with "it made sense in context" but it really, really didn't
I miss mafia. It helped me harness manipulation skills I rarely use due to me being so mild mannered.

Burgey

Pujara's strike rate, noun

Something that could be legitimately seen as needing improvement, but is unfairly focused over other, more important issues

"Whilst it was true that Bob took rather a lot of sick days compared to everyone else, this became a Pujara's strike rate used to divert the blame from the outdated IT systems when the management were trying to determine why profits were falling so drastically."
See also section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act (Cth).

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'll try my hand at a couple more

mccullum's fallacy, noun

The belief that in an event of which there are multiple random chance based outcomes, a run of one outcome appearing repeatedly means that the other is likelier to appear on the next occurrence

Johnny bet on the red on the roulette wheel because the wheel had come up black five times in a row, meaning surely it had to come up red eventually... when it didn't, Johnny's realised that the assuredness he had was no more than McCullum's Fallacy

Blocky, noun

A situation that has inspired regret and distaste for a past involvement or action that was easily avoidable with obvious bad consequences, someone entered in to anyway

TJ was in quite the blocky after going out in the sun without sunscreen or a hat and unsurprisingly getting burnt, leading him to look like a fool presenting the report to his boss.

Bijed

International Regular
handscomb, verb

To cause controversy by the use of one's hand.

"Anti-Argentinian sentiment was rife in England after Diego Maradona handscombed in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final."

~

kohli, noun

Hubris, arrogant confidence

"Bill's normally a pretty quiet guy, but after a few pints he does tend to exhibit some pretty serious kohli, especially if there are women around."

Bijed

International Regular
Hi everyone,

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I'd like to adapt this thread into a short book as a present for my dad and have now used the online service Lulu.com to create such a thing. However, I appreciate that a large amount of the content that is in the book is not that which I have written. Hence, before I go any further, I have contacted James regarding this and his main concern that the users of this thread were comfortable with this, so please raise any objections to the following here. At this point I would like to make clear that I do not intend or have any desire to make any money from this. With that said, you can view this (currently private) link to the book's Lulu store page (the price of £2.63 represents the production cost of the book so any money hypothetically paid by someone would all go to Lulu.com) and a PDF of the content that would be in the book is attached to this post.

What I would ideally be looking to do would be simply:

• Print a handful of copies for private use
  • Advertise the book to my friends on Facebook etc, as I knew a few people who I think might like it and also one or two who might be interested in joining CW
  • Open the Lulu link to be public, so that theoretically people might just find it in the store
I apologise if what I have already done is disagreeable to anyone and also in advance to anyone who is not comfortable with what I have written above. I sincerely hope you can forgive me if this is you.

Attachments

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
bumrah, verb

to perform effectively in an aesthetically ridiculous manner

"Don't let the mad scientist hair fool you, Professor Smith bumrahs his way through all his lectures."

~

swann's cat, noun

a spurious excuse

"First year students will always give you some rubbish swann's cat about why their essay hasn't been done."

~

Bijed, noun

A questionable project undertaken with admirable diligence

'Geoff's spent so long on building a shed entirely out of Lego, it's turning into a bit of a Bijed'

cnerd123

likes this
breaking the fourth wall a bit by going from cricketers lexicon to cricketwebber's lexicon there

although tbf slim shady did it first

Burgey

Al Hasan

Something highly significant in insignificant company, but largely useless or unknown on the big stage.

Also, a big fish in a small pond.

"Jason Al Hasaned his way through the Workers Comp sittings up in Lismore but he's never run an appellate hearing at all".

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Border, noun

something once culturally significant that has now lost its relevance, but is still spoken of highly by older generations

"Dad keeps going on and on about how amazing Led Zepplin were, but really that band is such a Border"
It's Led Zeppelin by the way ***** ;-)

cnerd123

likes this
Al Hasan

Something highly significant in insignificant company, but largely useless or unknown on the big stage.

Also, a big fish in a small pond.

"Jason Al Hasaned his way through the Workers Comp sittings up in Lismore but he's never run an appellate hearing at all".
Bangladesh so relevant that Shakib's name has been used twice in this thread.