• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ramnaresh Sarwan v Simon Katich v Paul Collingwood vs Ashwell Prince

ImpatientLime

International Regular
pretty good a slight understatement on the quality of collingwoods fielding.

he was one of the absolute best of his generation.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah I have a habit of understating things. I should probably try to work on it, it can be mildly annoying to people sometimes.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Katich, just for almost murdering Clarke. Sarwan second for daring to bring the wags into sledging.

cnerd123

likes this
Who of these 4 would make their country's side today?

Sarwan walks into the WI, Katich walks into Aus, Prince may struggle to get in the SA lineup unless he plays as opener, and Colly could do a decent job at 4 for England yea?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who of these 4 would make their country's side today?

Sarwan walks into the WI, Katich walks into Aus, Prince may struggle to get in the SA lineup unless he plays as opener, and Colly could do a decent job at 4 for England yea?
Prince > Duminy surely? Suppose he may struggle for the full-time XI but he's "coloured" so he might have a case over Faf assuming de Villiers is captain again. Plus as you say they could make him into an opener if need be (though he was mostly a failure up there).

Colly would easily crack that #4 spot. Katich > anyone in the Australian Top 7 that isn't Smith or Warner, and Sarwan > anyone in the WIndies Top 7 with Bravo seemingly out of the picture.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Colly could do a decent job at 4 for England yea?
In an ideal world #4 is probably a spot or two too high for Colly.......but yeah, given current circumstances he walks in to the spot. **** I'd pick him for his fielding alone right now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In a world when we're seriously contemplating Buttler at 4, Collingwood would be a walk-up start in that position.

In reality he'd probably be better suited to 5 or 6 so you'd move Moeen to 4 so that he can continue his quest to bat at every spot in the line-up, but he wouldn't disgrace himself there.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Colly scored his 200 at #4 I think, back when we thought KP had to be at 5 under all circumstances.

Prince would just open the batting for SA.

Blokes who can average low-mid 40s, make hundreds and look test standard over a long period make almost any test team ever. There are enough batting spots that unless you're talking about a historically awesome side there's pretty much always a spud in there.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So he did - funny how the memory of him always feels like he was a number 6 yet in reality he mostly came in at 5. I'm blaming old age.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Sarwan was supremely talented, he massively underachieved in tests compared to the other 3. I rate Prince the highest in tests.

Mustn't forget that Ronnie was an absolutely awesome ODI batsman. In tests he comes last, in ODIs though he's a clear winner,

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simply because someone doesnt have the most aesthetically pleasing style doesn't mean that they are not insanely talented.

Katich (and the likes of Smith, Chanders, etc) is incredibly gifted and played some amazing innings at very high strike rates