• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden cricketers of the year

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
Harvey...
Harvey...

Flintoff...
Flintoff...

Deary me. When you compare those chumps with the rest, it doesnt quite add up, but to hell with that I suppose :P:D
Flintoff,the chump who took SA apart on more than one occasion and also had a superb spell in One Day Internationals that now sees him ranked in the top 20 for batting and the top 6 for bowling?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
First Adam Hollioake and then Chris Adams. Could someone explain how and why these relatively unknown English players get an award?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wisden is an English publication and their awards have always been Anglo-centric. Hollioake and Adams both captained their sides to the County Championship title and have had successfull County Careers.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
badgerhair said:
You don't follow cricket outside Australia, then? Never mind.
What are you talking about? :blink:

And tooextracool, Im a girl. :original:

Marc, I see what your saying... I dunno though, Im comparing him to the others on the list (minus Harvey, hes way off) and I reckon there could be others who would have been a better choice. Although, thinking about it half the players I have in mind probably have been on it already. Thats all.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Wisden is an English publication and their awards have always been Anglo-centric. Hollioake and Adams both captained their sides to the County Championship title and have had successfull County Careers.
But why a reservation for English county players? Why not Australia or some other country, taking into account all domestic performances? Is Enmglish county cricket really that special? Have these two winners really done anything special? The only reason could be that Wisden is an English publication, but why club these county heroes with international cricketers?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Arjun said:
But why a reservation for English county players? Why not Australia or some other country, taking into account all domestic performances? Is Enmglish county cricket really that special? Have these two winners really done anything special? The only reason could be that Wisden is an English publication, but why club these county heroes with international cricketers?
That is the reason. Wisden sells mostly in the UK, is written by mainly English writers, and its coverage focuses heavily on the county season, hence there's a bias in its awards.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's an English Almanac concentrating on County Cricket as the main.

For a long long time the awards were solely based on the performances of players in the English County Season, and nobody minded then.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
That is the reason. Wisden sells mostly in the UK, is written by mainly English writers, and its coverage focuses heavily on the county season, hence there's a bias in its awards.
In that case, why not call this award as "Wisden County Cricketer of the year", rather than another International Cricketer award?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
In that case, why not call this award as "Wisden County Cricketer of the year", rather than another International Cricketer award?
Since when have they ever claimed it to be an International Cricketer Award?

It's always been a "Wisden Cricketer of the year" nothing more than that.