• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden cricketers of the year

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Dravid and Murali have already won it.

If Kallis makes it 6 in 6 over the weekend then he's in with a great shot.. maybe instead of Streak (he has to win it at some point).

Ed Smith I think is a banker due to his barnstorming county season (don't forget Wisden is UK-based)
So has Kevin Pieterson.

VVS Laxman might be within a chance as well. Good to see Phil Simmons has won it. There was one fine WI ODI cricketer. Especially with the ball.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Craig said:
So has Kevin Pieterson.

VVS Laxman might be within a chance as well. Good to see Phil Simmons has won it. There was one fine WI ODI cricketer. Especially with the ball.
VVS Laxman has already won it.

Craig

World Traveller
Stephen 'GBH' Harmison
Gareth Batty
Kadeer Ali
Ed Smith
Rikki Clarke
Andrew Flintoff

Would be ideal winners for me.

PY

International Coach
Surely Jacques Kallis has to be one of the five.

In his last 10 Tests (since 3rd Test vs England), he has averaged 82.80 and scored 1242 runs. Throw in 5 centuries and 3 fifties and I think we have a winner.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think nobody was picked from the last WC in the last edition so I would go for Ponting, Bichel and Ganguly

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im absolutely certain that Jacques Kallis will be one of the 5 Wisden players of the year.

scrumpy

Cricket Spectator
If Ponting hasn`t been picked before, and I`m surprised he hasn`t, he seems a certainty on the back of the World Cup. Graeme Smith and "Fred" Flintoff likewise look certainties.

I keep getting sent order forms for Wisden inviting me me to buy by mail order at #10 off, but I`m waiting to see it in the shops. I don`t want a cover with some inappropriate picture on it (I changed mine last year).

Andre

International Regular
5 Wisden Cricketers of the Year

Chris Adams
Andrew Flintoff
Ian Harvey
Gary Kirsten
Graeme Smith.

Go figure!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Harvey the only shock for me, and I imagine that's more to seasons of good performances, although I can't remember his efforts in 2003.

The rest are fair picks.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: 5 Wisden Cricketers of the Year

Andre said:
Chris Adams
Andrew Flintoff
Ian Harvey
Gary Kirsten
Graeme Smith.

Go figure!
Surprised Ed Smith didnt get. Ian Harvey! And I'm shocked Kirsten hasnt been a previous winner...

Loony BoB

International Captain
I think Kallis, Graeme Smith and Ponting are more than deserving. I'm not sure about Ed Smith as I don't keep up with county cricket, but from what I've seen on this thread I supopse he'll be a fourth one to put on the list. Not sure on the fifth, but a lot of the names mentioned work for me on that one.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Harvey...
Harvey...

Flintoff...
Flintoff...

Deary me. When you compare those chumps with the rest, it doesnt quite add up, but to hell with that I suppose :P:D

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Linda said:
Harvey...
Harvey...

Flintoff...
Flintoff...

Deary me. When you compare those chumps with the rest, it doesnt quite add up, but to hell with that I suppose :P:D
You don't follow cricket outside Australia, then? Never mind.

Cheers,

Mike

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Tony Blade said:
I think Kallis and Ponting have been named before?!
You think wrongly, then. It's a little surprising that Ponting hasn't been, but he hasn't been the star of any Ashes series.

However, as the visiting captain for the 2005 series, it seems all too likely that he wil be picked for the 2006 Wisden - and the articke will then make more sense, since it can include stuff about him being a fine Australian captain.

Cheers,

Mike