• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zafar Ansari v Samit Patel

Who was worse?

• Zafar Ansari

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Samit Patel

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • slippy888

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
The only thing I can remember of Samit Patel is him bowling full tosses and Sehwag smashing them into the stands :laugh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ansari has a way to go to match Samit's admittedly modest achievements - hope he doesn't get the chance to be honest

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ansari has a way to go to match Samit's admittedly modest achievements - hope he doesn't get the chance to be honest
That is the point, not many would have thought that we would be looking at the side wishing that Fatit was playing instead. Not Ansari's fault they picked him but he is so out of his depth it is unreal.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Samit never managed anything really as a Test cricketer but his selection did make sense, he was and still is a genuine middle order player for Notts who made first class tons, and he had some good periods in ODIs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Samit never managed anything really as a Test cricketer but his selection did make sense, he was and still is a genuine middle order player for Notts who made first class tons, and he had some good periods in ODIs.
All true. And I don't think he's belong in the 'Totally out of their depth in the SC XI', whereas Ansari and Duckett will be taking a couple of places alongside Richard Blakey and and others whose names currently escape me.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barry Wood was a strange one - one decent knock against Lillee and the selectors decide to take him to India rather than Bumble who had had a fantastic year and was noted for his ability against spin - especially as back in those days Indian attacks were strictly spin only - a couple of token overs of medium pace followed by three from Bedi, Chandra and Venkat or Prasanna for the rest of the innings

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barry Wood
Chris Cowdrey
Ravi Bopara
Ben Duckett
Eoin Morgan
Richard Blakey
Zafar Ansari
Ian Blackwell
Paul Allott
Richard Dawson
Paul Taylor

...that was painful

Did Barry Wood get his place after seeing that footage from 1972/3 that I dug out the other day?
Quite remarkable dismissal where he was bowled trying to cut Bishen Bedi iirc.

The other contender may well be Phi De Freitas who, if memory serves, actually failed to take a single test wicket on the 1993 tour.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
I'd say Ansari has been worse so far, but tbf a Samit Patel sized hole is difficult to fill