• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Curtly Ambrose vs Jimmy Anderson

Pick 1 for your world 11 team

• Curtly Ambrose

Votes: 37 92.5%
  • jimmy anderson

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

listento_me

U19 Captain
As much as I'm a Jimmy fan and as much as his swing bowling and skill set is exceptional, he just isn't on the level of a bowler like Ambrose.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jimmy has never traded in the spectacular in the way Curtley did - if you had to have just one I think everyone would pick Curtley, but you'd really want both

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer

Jimmy bowling in his own backyard = bowling average of 25
Ambrose bowling in Jimmy's backward = bowling average of 20

Blocky

Banned
Jimmy bowling in his own backyard = bowling average of 25
Ambrose bowling in Jimmy's backward = bowling average of 20
To be fair to Jimmy, had he been bowling at some of those English sides Curtly got to play against, his average might well be 20 too.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Ambrose was a total genius.

Ambrose could only be compared to his fellow great Malcolm Marshall.

Steyn Anderson would be a better comparison,though Steyn holds the upper hand

listento_me

U19 Captain
Let's put it this way, if I was picking a world XI, across all era, the bowling would look like the following:

undisputed names - Wasim Akram, McGrath, Warne/Murali

Then you'd have names like Ambrose, Marshall, Waqar, Donald and Lillee who would get in depending on how you wanted to shape your attack and conditions.

Jimmy doesn't yet hit those categories.

Bijed

International Regular
Let's put it this way, if I was picking a world XI, across all era, the bowling would look like the following:

Then you'd have names like Ambrose, Marshall, Waqar, Donald and Lillee who would get in depending on how you wanted to shape your attack and conditions.

Given how far advanced his career now is that's unlikely to change too, sadly.

I mean, I love Jimmy and I think anyone who says he doesn't reach the ranks of the 'very good' bowlers is letting his ordinary start to his test career (or other, often a touch arbitrary, factors) tar their opinions of him too much, but I'd be kidding myself if I said he could be legitimately ranked amongst the names you've mentioned. Ambrose vs Anderson is no contest, but that's no poor reflection on Jimmy.

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
Given how far advanced his career now is that's unlikely to change too, sadly.

I mean, I love Jimmy and I think anyone who says he doesn't reach the ranks of the 'very good' bowlers is letting his ordinary start to his test career (or other, often a touch arbitrary, factors) tar their opinions of him too much, but I'd be kidding myself if I said he could be legitimately ranked amongst the names you've mentioned. Ambrose vs Anderson is no contest, but that's no poor reflection on Jimmy.
I can't disagree with this.

There was a time when Jimmy was the very best bowler on the planet, certainly the best skilled swing bowler around but even that part of his career didn't allow him to reach the heights of the truly great.

I dunno how old you are but at 27 I grew up in a generation of truly great bowlers and although I like Jimmy as a fan, he doesn't reach the heights of those I saw.

Bijed

International Regular
I'm 21 so didn't get quite the same extended era of a plethora of greats to watch, but still saw a bit of McGrath/Donald/Wasim etc and of course Steyn came along so I haven't totally missed out.

Slifer

International Captain

Sorry to nit pick and I know it's your personal opinion, but none of Murali,Warne, Mcgrath or Wasim are any more undisputed in a world eleven than the likes of Ambrose, MM, Donald, Hadlee, Imran etc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Obviously Jimmy isn't on par with Ambrose but it's amusing to see posts like Stephen's