• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arjuna Ranatunga vs Graham Thorpe

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thes polls seem to get more and more random. Can't wait for random batsmen vs random bowler from a different era.

listento_me

U19 Captain
tough one, real toughe. Ranatunga is clearly the better ODI bat but how does that relay to test cricket? Thorpe was exceptional in a mediocre England era.

Test cricket weighs in more for me although ODIs should be in consideration too but overall, p4p, it's Thorpe.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Arjuna had a SR of 77.9 for a career that spanned from 1980s to 1990s.Ranathunge is one of the best ODI players of the game.Doesnt make sense to compare players overall

For instance we can't compare Younis Khan and V.Kohli and ask who the better bat is.Younis is a man for crisis,lacks the same adaptability in limited overs,where Kohli is an ODI ATG,lacks temperament in Tests

viriya

International Captain
Arjuna had a SR of 77.9 for a career that spanned from 1980s to 1990s.Ranathunge is one of the best ODI players of the game.Doesnt make sense to compare players overall

For instance we can't compare Younis Khan and V.Kohli and ask who the better bat is.Younis is a man for crisis,lacks the same adaptability in limited overs,where Kohli is an ODI ATG,lacks temperament in Tests
Yea I think Arjuna is pretty underrated in ODIs - his SR is amazing considering the era he spanned.

indiaholic

International Captain
I expect better than bog standard statements like that from you viriya. He has scores of 141, 147, 167, 169, 200 and 211.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eh? Thorpe averaged more in ODIs and scored them far more quickly too.

Am I missing something?
Brumby, meet Viriya. None of his opinions make any real sense (current best one being that de Kock is the number 1 Test batsman in the world...

Bijed

International Regular
Their ODI averages and SRs are very similar, I'd say Ranatunga gets the nod in this format with considerations for the fact he played generally in an slightly earlier era than Thorpe (though this is a fair amount of overlap). Surely Thorpe over Ranatunga in tests more than makes up for this, though?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People have ignored the fact Thorpe was a decent bloke too and Ranatunga was a dumpy pain in the arse.

Thorpe clearly twice the test player Ranatunga was and Ranatunga a better ODI player but a complete arse too so comfortably a vote for Thorpe here.