• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root v Virat Kohli

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Since that infamous England tour, Kohli's record is actually better than Root's ftr. Not that it automatically makes him better(he isn't) but still:

Kohli: 21 tests , 1939 runs @ 61, 8 hundreds, 3 "fifties"
Root: 28 tests, 2499 runs @55, 6 hundreds, 16 "fifties"
Forget the stats. Watching Kohli batting in tests now gives you a feeling that he's super hungry to make massive impact in this area of his game and he's determined more than ever which is scary. He has started leaving the ball which was his obvious weakness as it leaves him outside off (about 6/7 stumps line). It's hard for him to not slash or drive on those but he's managing this now even though you could see the temptation as he could not resist one from jimmy today. He stuck around in the first test when wickets were tumbling at the other end. Started to convert his hundreds into big daddy ones.

indiaholic

International Captain
Nah its due to the toss. No matter whether India wins or loses the toss, they seem to win the game. Hence, the toss is the only reason India wins.

akilana

International 12th Man
Kohli in all the formats. Kohli came up on top against Mj, Harris, Steyn, Philander etc. I thought Root had more than 3 away tests hundreds since he has been hyped up on here a lot these days. One of the hundred was against WI and one against a SA attack minus Steyn, Philander. If I am going to form an XI to play any formats across the world, I will pick Kohli.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's OK, HB. He's entitled to crap on India at every opportunity if he wants to. I don't believe the site rules prohibit that. :)

However, I am sure we can also come up with enough semi-trolling arguments in favour of Kohli/other Indian players if we want to in response. :)

Actually, it does. Its called Forum Atmosphere or something.

Its one thing to come and LOL at India when we are not doing well, quite another to go out of his way to post utter bull **** crap with 0% facts to back up just to put down India. Its coz we let such posters run riot that CC has been going down the drain for a while now. And the good ones keep posting less and less.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ok, this is a genuine shout out to Indian fans and not just one or two guys in particular. Why are you all so damn aggressive?

Not a single one of you have has been able to put forward a legitimate argument as to why Kohli is superior in tests. There have been good arguments for ODI side and like I said, its a lot closer between the two in terms of performances.

Let's not focus on being personally angry or personal attacks but try and put forward legitimate arguments. The issue is, there are none for Kohli over Root in tests, or there are very few.

So lets keep it about the cricket and a little less whinging would help.

Then maybe you should stop posting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You are arguing with a guy who thinks averages in games won is a useful statistic. Think about it for a moment.
He also thinks Root > Kohli in tests, coz SR.. :p And of course, in ODIs, SR does not matter... 8-) What a pathetic poster. Those WC losses must be zinging bad...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, it does. Its called Forum Atmosphere or something.

Its one thing to come and LOL at India when we are not doing well, quite another to go out of his way to post utter bull **** crap with 0% facts to back up just to put down India. Its coz we let such posters run riot that CC has been going down the drain for a while now. And the good ones keep posting less and less.
Fair enough, personally I'd rather leave it to the mods though.

smash84

The Tiger King
He also thinks Root > Kohli in tests, coz SR.. :p And of course, in ODIs, SR does not matter... 8-) What a pathetic poster. Those WC losses must be zinging bad...
Lol dude, relax. He's really gotten to you. It's not such a big deal. Most posters here can decipher who the better bat is in each format.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, tbh my pick of Root was 95% because I don't care about ODI's all that much. If you weight them equally, I'd imagine you can get the numbers to support Root>Kohli or Kohli>Root to suit your preference. Anyway, my post was more to refute the people criticising LTM for saying Root>Kohli in ODIs when I don't think that's what he meant.
It's only valid if someone puts equal value to ODIs and Tests. Bijed prefers more superior one to tests even though the same player becomes inferior when it comes to ODIs. It's acceptable from where he's coming from.

Oh.. I am not denying that at all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol dude, relax. He's really gotten to you. It's not such a big deal. Most posters here can decipher who the better bat is in each format.

Lol.. yeah, he has. As long as he posted **** now and then, it was easy to ignore. But now he is propping up to post in every thread and its the same ****. If a couple of other posters got banned for doing that, so should this guy. Pretty sure you will feel the same way if some poster decided to troll Pak like that. I am not even arguing his pathetic assertion here. Just pointing out the obvious flaws in his "reasoning"...

smash84

The Tiger King
Lol.. yeah, he has. As long as he posted **** now and then, it was easy to ignore. But now he is propping up to post in every thread and its the same ****. If a couple of other posters got banned for doing that, so should this guy. Pretty sure you will feel the same way if some poster decided to troll Pak like that. I am not even arguing his pathetic assertion here. Just pointing out the obvious flaws in his "reasoning"...
I am sure I won't feel the same way if some poster did that about Pak. I think you've been here long enough to ignore **** posting. I would do that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I must have missed the bit when Root became a bonafide ODI ATG, up there with Viv, AB & Sachin.

Anyway, I'll go Kohli since he has the better face of the two.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli's LO exploits have also put a bigger target on his back, compounded by his "come at me bro" attitude and the direness of the Indian commentators and fans.

listento_me

U19 Captain
man you might wana calm down and talk cricket

Plus I never said "Root over Kohli in test because of strike rate", I used it as part of my analysis. A basic education would allow you to understand that.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I think I'm going to be putting anyone who tries to derail this into a "I think so and so is hating on India and I'm a cry baby" thread on ignore. I've seen way too many of these on here and on cricket forums in general.

Keeping up with the cricket, Kohli certainly has good numbers in ODI cricket, but someone said he is the best his seen since Richards. Really? You must have missed he entirety of Ponting and Tendulkar's careers then.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Keeping up with the cricket, Kohli certainly has good numbers in ODI cricket, but someone said he is the best his seen since Richards. Really? You must have missed he entirety of Ponting and Tendulkar's careers then.
I think the irony of this comment and most of your contributions in this thread are pure gold :laugh:

You are the one that repeatedly calls out posters for quoting stats and not using their eyes and here you are with this stance on Kohli the ODI batsmen. The only thing Sachin and Ponting have on him is longevity.......what Kohli has done, especially in run chases in limited overs cricket is unprecedented IMO. There is no doubt he as an ATG in the shorter formats and right up there with the best of the best.

So I have to ask...........have you ever actually watched him bat??

As for this thread, as so many have said so far Root > Kohli in tests - Kohli > Root in limited overs. But 100% the gap between these two in tests is small and getting smaller IMO, but the gap in ODI's is pretty vast. So if you give any weight to limited overs cricket then it is very very clear that you pick Kohli.

And I say this as a man that loves Joe Root and think he could well go on to be the greatest England batsmen ever.