• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Special quality of Indian Cricket team!

"If these guys have looked attractive this summer, it is because they play attacking cricket," Wright said. "You would not want to hinder that shot-making ability.

"This is a special quality of Indian cricket and I think that is good for world cricket," Wright said.

[Edited on 8/8/02 by hindmaatujesalam]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You won't get me disagreeing with those sentiments.

(John Wright was a personal favourite of mine in his Derbyshire days).

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Yeah thats the thing that i have come to admire of the indian and pakistani batsmen. They are attacking all the time !.

But unfortunately if the same aggression is infused into the longer version of the game without the necessary precaution it will be translated as careless play.The indians just cant go on with hanging their bats outside the off stump!!

[Edited on 8/7/02 by Gotchya]

anzac

International Debutant
While it is good to see Indian batsmen playing their shots again, I think most teams these days have realised they need to play more attacking cricket both home and away for 2 reasons:

1. to get the fans back to the game
2. to be able to compete V Australia.

it certainly has not been limited to just India (see any series V Oz, and Astle's world record & recent NZ V Eng series scores)

if anything with their batting talent the question should be asked why so long between drinks and why a foreign coach to get it going again????

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, the Indian batsmen in full flow are a treat to watch. Pity that it happens so rarely. Even Dravid, who curtails his stroke play in tests, when he is on song is an extremely stylish and wristy batsman.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
if anything with their batting talent the question should be asked why so long between drinks and why a foreign coach to get it going again????
Sometimes, you have to be distanced from a problem to even become aware that there is one. John Wright is a pretty astute observer, I reckon, and maybe it just needed the right word in the right ear at the right time.

(Like Sehwag's ear, 10.55 am this morning - and boy, did it work!).

India have a style of its own, thats why their batters and bowlers are regarded as the most entertaining ones in the world

anzac

International Debutant
i haven't seen any of the test yet but I take it from the posts that the Indian batsmen are doing well.

If so congradulations but remember - one swallow does not make a drink - yet!!!!

Q. I thought that the Calypso Kings used to be regarded as the most entertaining (not now tho' of course), and that Australia posted bigger totals in quicker time on a more regular basis. Watching the Oz batsmen in full flight in a Test is like watching a prolonged ODI innings - may not be 'classical' style but it is entertaining as hell!!!!

Still - congrats to India but the jobs not done yet boys....NZ stomped OZ at Perth but only came away with a draw !!!!!

:)

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
As i said earlier, they are the samba king of Cricket!!

Hopefully India will win this match, but all now depends on ur bowlers, in the first match they played awfully, hopefully they will be on target this time!

[Edited on 8/8/02 by warrioryohannan]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
i haven't seen any of the test yet but I take it from the posts that the Indian batsmen are doing well.
To be honest, a score of 210-4 isn't a good performance in my view when you consider the supposed class of the men who've got it!

And I'd like to remind the Indians that Agarkar (average 13) is next man in, suggesting that numbers 8-11 average less than 13 - hardly inspiring figures!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
210-4 on a batting pitch is really 60 runs short of what they should have ended with on Day One.

I don't think you should ever compare India as being the Brazil of cricket, because they have not dominated world cricket for the last 10 years or so. If you want to try being the samba-kings all-round maybe you should tell your bowlers & fielders that this theory applies to them also.

anzac

International Debutant
i've just seen the scorecard from Day 1 & I must admit I am wondering what all the fuss is about - 1 good knock by Shewag (but not a big score), and nothing from anyone else!!!

I thought I was going to be looking at 300 plus for bugger all!!!

I repeat my earlier observation that one swallow does not a summer make .....or something !!!

:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think anyone can really criticise the total at the end of the day.

Bad light curtailed activities after just 66 overs, so that's, er, 3.18 runs per over.

It might have been a batting pitch, but atmospheric conditions swung things very much in the bowlers' favour - but they didn't really capitalise.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
210 in 66 overs is pretty good by any standards.. blame the heavens for the 60 runs that were short!!

Seems a nice score..

But its way too easy for our bowlers to mess it up!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dead right Anoop - been there, seen it, got the T shirt.

It's called 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory', and it's a skill which England have made all of their own over the years - but we've been able to do it at home as well as away.

anzac

International Debutant
"special quality"????

7 bowlers used - 4 in double figures with 2 bowling 50+ of the 80 odd overs & one of thos a spinner - doesn't say much for the quality of the 'attack', esp when England were 221 - 1!!!!!

more than a dozen No Balls alone from strictly military f/med bowlers, & the fielding must cost them at least another 2 dozen runs given away.

You can't expect to be world beaters in Test matches let alone ODI with that sort of effort.

sorry boys - it looks like a draw to me. However if India are unable to close the England innings quickly tomorrow then i suggest that they start to pray for rain!!!!

"And I'd like to remind the Indians that Agarkar (average 13) is next man in, suggesting that numbers 8-11 average less than 13 - hardly inspiring figures! "

Yeah ,even the no 9 guy , Harbhajan came up with a half century against English bowlers!!!
BUT then against English attack, any side would have scored heavily yesterday

:D