• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over rates

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No longer a problem in Australia with area at each end covered in white and people not allowed to sit there.

Why is it that over rates are never a problem in limited overs games.

Sometimes the players are running to position to ensure the overs are completed.
It still happens a lot in the 9 other test nations

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Well, Ian Chappell suggested re-introducing the fixed sight-screens that used to be used at Adelaide Oval.

However, I still don't see C.A. and broadcasters passing up the opportunity of turning them into extra ad-space like they do now (which Chappell said shouldn't happen), which sometimes causes problems of its own.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Look I understand batsmen requiring adjustments so fixed sight screens might not be a good idea. I just think that area should be managed and ground staff thoroughly trained. Sometimes its the security guard taking a stroll. Come on that's just stupid. For the administrators and commentators who get their knickers in a twist about slow over rates, to not realize these absolutely stupid delays is mind boggling to me.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Look I understand batsmen requiring adjustments so fixed sight screens might not be a good idea. I just think that area should be managed and ground staff thoroughly trained. Sometimes its the security guard taking a stroll. Come on that's just stupid. For the administrators and commentators who get their knickers in a twist about slow over rates, to not realize these absolutely stupid delays is mind boggling to me.
ICC should just issue fines as a proportion of the gate to the grounds for unneccesary delays, like sight screens not been moved in timely manner, glare off signs, people in line of site etc . Batsman should specify locations they want the sight screen for each type of bowler ie Right arm over, left arm around, that way any delay is on the fielding side if the bowler keeps on changing side of wicket.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Yeah but someone still has to come and physically adjust it. A lot of the times umpires are waiting for ground staff to appear. A lot of the times the communication over the distance is horrible and they don't adjust it correctly and that causes delay. Ultimately for this to get solved, people will have to realize that it's a problem. Given that no one has ever even brought it up, either on Commentary boxes where they discuss these things or on CW tells me that no one even realizes what a major problem this is.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like me NC will have seen someone else raise this subject elsewhere recently, and reference being made to the fourth Test of the 1948 Ashes series - on the final day England continued their second innings from 362-8 before declaring three runs later - one innings break later and Australia chased down 404 for the loss of just three wickets. England bowled 114.1 overs - 43 by their seamers, 51 by spinners and the other 20.1 by medium pacers - you can imagine what the bloke's point was

Given prevailing attitudes there I cba to make the point that maybe, if Yardley had given his field placings a bit more thought and had plans for the individual batsmen, England wouldn't have picked up such a fearful drubbing - I think we should be careful what we wish for - I mean who wants to watch Test matches like this one?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
^ Yeah but someone still has to come and physically adjust it. A lot of the times umpires are waiting for ground staff to appear. A lot of the times the communication over the distance is horrible and they don't adjust it correctly and that causes delay. Ultimately for this to get solved, people will have to realize that it's a problem. Given that no one has ever even brought it up, either on Commentary boxes where they discuss these things or on CW tells me that no one even realizes what a major problem this is.
Or more likely, how rare it is that this actually delays things.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Penalty runs and no stopping till the overs for the day is done (screw the broadcasters who want a cut off time)

No excuse for slow over rates really, teams magically find a way to bowl more when trying to win. If you can do it then you can do it at other times.

Last edited: