• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tons in Asia stats

Blocky

Banned
It is, for sure. I'm trying to think of how many blokes have excelled moving up to open from other positions in the order. Langer, obviously. Boonie did it in the dark days. I suppose Sehwag played a few games in the middle order before he moved, or maybe I've got that wrong. Can't think of too many tbh
That's because a lot of them are only asked to do it from first class into test cricket, rather than those established as test level.

Those at Test Level who have tried it have generally not seen performance drop away

Stephen Fleming (no where near as performing as the others stated, but as much so for NZ conditions) performed to a similar level as he did at #3
Peter Kirsten was initially a #3 wasn't he?
Joe Root should probably be opening for England.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
None of Cook's 100's in India came in the 1st innings of the match, 3 in the 3rd innings and 2 in the 2nd. So there goes your theory he gets easy runs...
I was aware of the implication, but asked out of real curiosity about the nature of pitches rather than to discredit Cook's hundreds. Cooks all grand. All along, I hope I haven't been pushing Cook down, rather, my hero up.

Blocky

Banned
Yeah we tried that, probably best to keep him at 3/4 where he averages nearly 60.
If he could average 60 alongside Cook averaging 47 at the top of your order, you would be an infinitely more solid side.
Hell, if he could average 50 alongside cook averaging 47 you'd still be a better side.

Blocky

Banned
That's originally what people said about him batting #3 though wasn't it? "We should keep him at 4 because he's better there", "We shouldn't move him from 5 because he's dominant there"

Burner

International Regular
He's an attacking batsman. Does that gel well with opening the batting in England? I mean Cook succeeds because he eats up the balls but he will have to do better than Cook too.

Burner

International Regular
Regardless though, why would England want to swap a 19 year old who has all the temperament and skills (hopefully) you would want in an opening batsman.