• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alviro Petersen charged with fixing by CSA

slippy888

International Captain
Cricket South Africa has charged former South Africa opening batsman Alviro Petersen with six breaches of the anti-corruption code relating to attempting to fix matches during the 2015 domestic T20 competition, the Ram Slam. Petersen, who has been provisionally suspended from all cricket activities, denied any involvement in fixing earlier this year.

Five other players - Gulam Bodi, Thami Tsolekile, Jean Symes, Ethy Mbhalati and Pumelela Matshikwe - were banned for between seven and 20 years for contriving to fix matches in the competition last season. Petersen has been given 14 days to respond to the charges.

Broadly, Petersen has been charged both with attempts to fix or improperly influence aspects of the tournament and with withholding information from anti-corruption officials during their investigation.

The six charges laid by CSA are:

Contriving to fix or otherwise improperly influence, or being party to a scheme in which attempts would be made to fix or otherwise improperly influence, a match or matches in the 2015 Ram Slam T20 Challenge Series.
Seeking to accept, accepting or agreeing to accept a bribe or reward to fix or contrive to fix or influence improperly a match or matches in the 2015 Ram Slam T20 Challenge Series.
Failing to disclose to the designated anti-corruption official (without unnecessary delay) full details of any approaches or invitations to engage in corrupt conduct under the code.
Failure to disclose to the designated anti-corruption official (without unnecessary delay) full details of any incident or fact that may evidence corrupt conduct under the code by another participant.
Nine counts of failing to disclose (without unnecessary delay) accurate and complete information and/or documentation to the designated anti-corruption official.
Obstructing or delaying the investigation by concealing, tampering with or destroying information or documentation relevant to the investigation.

In March, Petersen admitted he had reported fixing approaches but denied suggestions that he was under investigation.

Alviro Petersen charged with fixing by CSA | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

listento_me

U19 Captain
I never like hearing stuff like this and with all the money and gambling involved in modern t20 leagues, I think we're going to start hearing about this stuff more often.

Stefan9

International Debutant
At least they seem to be doing proper investigation and not rubbing offences under the rug...

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Tsolekile particularly sad.
How is his case any sadder than the others? As far as I've seen, everyone involved had been professional cricketers for many years, they were not ignorant of what they were doing and I'm sure they were well aware of the punishments if caught.

They were caught, and punished. End of.

Alviro hasn't been convicted of anything yet and I hope it turns out that he's told the truth but if he hasn't, he's probably going to be penalised very harshly.