Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Murali bowling with a astraight arm

PY
    Originally posted by pontingrulz
    hey PY are you looking at it witha 400x microscope or something because i dont see no shadow and it looks dead straight to me
    How can you say that arm is straight when you can't even see the elbow? It is obscured by the shadow created by his shirt sleeve.

You can be sarcastic as you like but doesn't really help your point. :rolleyes:.
    Last edited by PY; 17-03-2004 at 12:31 PM.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Kenny
    One could be forgiven for thinking that Mr.Pickup has a vested interest in Murali being forever free of any scrutiny......what, is he just cleared forever?
    No, but when people post photos and claim them to be something they aren't, I will complain.

That 3rd photo in the set of three is a beauty......his arm is really bent there - does anyone believe it stayed that bent right thru delivery?
    Well, given that it's the same in each photo...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I really fail to believe that anyone can think that this angle can show that his arm is straight.
    It is possible to make any arm look 180 degrees straight or less if you look at it from the right point at the right angle.
    You need 360degree coverage to show anything about sinuosity. And that's not easy to get hold of.
    With regrard to Mr. Elliott, I can understand his concerns but he seems to have made one crucial - and rather bizarre - error. He appears to have classified Murali a "fingerspinner".
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Rik
    Since the picture is taken from pretty much straight on and his arm is facing the opposite way to his normal delivery. You are seeing a picture of an arm from front-ways and seeing his elbow from that angle makes it impossible to tell if it's bent or not, except for the tell tale signs, where his elbow goes in at the sides showing it is in fact bent...
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

I want to see a side on angle.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    another thread about the supposed chucker........i should be giving up on the argument by now and yet because i like Murali so much i'm persuaded to read the posts and defend.

Mr. Pontingrulz.........you have amazed me at the consistency of your sarcastic and substance lacking posts.

murali's bent arm excuse is not full s**t and for that matter it's not an excuse either.....it's a part of life for him.....there's no other solution for it!
    your so called evidence is what's full of s**t as it shows nothing but one angle where his arm looks straight and therefore according to you he chucks!!.......but i guess that's what the other ppl in this thread have been TRYING to tell you.

if you think that this post is being sarcastic, it's not.....i'm merely being blunt.

So step outside of your blissful ignorance and once you have something that you can honestly call evidence and a reasonable justification, come back to us for "show and tell"!!!
    - - - - - - - - - -> Z!

International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Originally posted by Top_Cat
    So one angle is all you need, huh? And I might add, it's a bit nuts to say "Okay, on almost every other angle his arm is bent but one THIS one it MIGHT be straight. Well, that's proof enough for me!!!!!!!!!!"

Yup, I've done ONE test on this new drug and it didn't cause any problems in rats so it's therefore PERFECTLY SAFE. I think I'll call it Thalydomide...............
    These two arguments are not similar in any way. One argues for possibility, the other argues for no exception. Bad analogy.

Having said that though, even though I do think that Murali does throw specific deliveries, to my eyes, in the original picture in this thread, his arm looks bent.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Murali's eyes...classic
    I wish I were an Oscar Myer weiner.

Banned
    Sorry age master but the three pictures you have shown are of murali bowling his stock delivery. the picture i posted is murali bowling his doosra. so once again no comparrison. he might have been accustomed to bowling his offie with a bent arm and has spent years developing his doosra. which he bowls with a straight arm. Mr Elliot an expert in the feild has his doubts about the doora being legal and so do i and many other people

Rik
    Sorry age master but the three pictures you have shown are of murali bowling his stock delivery. the picture i posted is murali bowling his doosra. so once again no comparrison. he might have been accustomed to bowling his offie with a bent arm and has spent years developing his doosra. which he bowls with a straight arm. Mr Elliot an expert in the feild has his doubts about the doora being legal and so do i and many other people
    When someone brings out such a totally different delivery it's not uncommon for people to be wary of it. From what I've read all Mr Elliot has said is that the mere mention of Murali's new delivery considering all the variables that need to take place so that he could bowl it, just make him wary, he has never once said Murali chucks it. To be fair, no-one has any proof he does anyway and from what I've seen his partially bent elbow helps him out with turning the ball the other way, because, if most people did it, they would chuck, but he doesn't because his elbow goes as far as it can.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    his doosra. which he bowls with a straight arm.
    The same arm that physically cannot be straightened or does he borrow a false arm from the dressing room?

If the latter then it's not going to be a surprise when he bowls a doosra, since the whole 3rd Arm would be a bit of a giveaway!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Originally posted by marc71178
    The same arm that physically cannot be straightened or does he borrow a false arm from the dressing room?

If the latter then it's not going to be a surprise when he bowls a doosra, since the whole 3rd Arm would be a bit of a giveaway!
    This, IMO, is the most startling aspect of Elliot's comments. Because, what it means is that at least one member of the team that originally cleared Murali isn't completely convinced that he actually has a congenital deformity that prevents the elbow from straightening. Because if he did, it wouldn't matter what new delivery Murali came up with - obviously Murali couldn't be throwing it, because it would be impossible.

So it's interesting - regardless of whether Murali actually chucks or not, I'd be surprised if Elliot hasn't already been reprimanded by the ICC. If not, it's a little suggestive.

PY
    Originally posted by Slow Love™
    This, IMO, is the most startling aspect of Elliot's comments. Because, what it means is that at least one member of the team that originally cleared Murali isn't completely convinced that he actually has a congenital deformity that prevents the elbow from straightening. Because if he did, it wouldn't matter what new delivery Murali came up with - obviously Murali couldn't be throwing it, because it would be impossible.

So it's interesting - regardless of whether Murali actually chucks or not, I'd be surprised if Elliot hasn't already been reprimanded by the ICC. If not, it's a little suggestive.
    It could just mean that Murali has a different arm position for that specific delivery which has not got his arm at full stretch (however much that is).

Although I do agree that it is strange that there has been no comment from the ICC thus far.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Can we just clear this up:
    Murali cannot straighten his arm to more than about 165-170 degrees. That is a medical fact, and no misleading pictures are going to change that. Doctors have pronounced this, and the sooner people stop trying to argue that it is untrue the better.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    But Richard, you've ignored the false arm theory - it's obvious that that is how he straightens his arm!!!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information