• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Crawley vs Jonty Rhodes

Who the better test match batsman for you

• John Crawley

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Jonty Rhodes

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

91Jmay

International Coach
Actually they once had a fielding comparison comparing rhodes and ponting here in series for SA vs Aus. Taking into consideration stops,catches,runouts, ect. Both came out above 10 points per game (ponting was slightly higher as he hit the stumps more often).
So 5 runs per innings then. Which is what I said, and that includes catches which seems pretty subjective as to how many runs that is actually worth. That also again as I said doesn't take into account how many runs an average fielder in that position is worth.

SeamUp

International Coach
Jonty Rhodes was a clutch player just like Hansie Cronje. Whilst they didn't average 40 they both played many crucial knocks in testing conditions.

On the fielding side of things, I would say Jonty's greatest strength was diving and saving runs and great catches even though he got many run-outs.

Some guy was saying it's more like 5 runs saved, I reckon it can easily be 10+ on regular occasion. Considering at the time Donald, De Villiers, Pollock always used to say they bowling well when they making the batsman hit to point and how many singles you stop there in test cricket is obvious due to slip cordon and his reputation won him many runs saved and dismissals. But the obvious one was being at point you either save 4 runs quite often or it goes for 4 if it is hit half decently so that is how runs could be easily escalated by Jonty's fielding.

No disrespect to Crawley but I just seem to remember him failing badly against us.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'm not disputing he saved 10+ on occasions but that wasn't the assertion made. It's also the amount more runs than he would save vs an average fielder.