• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
True, but I was thinking of match practice against decent opposition
Yeah. Just Pakistan and Sri Lanka at home after this. I was surprised he went straight in Carribean Premier League after playing some County cricket this off-season.

For me , it is a clear indicator that he is trying to build up some final financial reserves from playing.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Im fine with this. We know what Amla is about. We perhaps still don't know who the reserve batsmen is for the WC.
Markram, Klaasens, Reeza..... nobody else has done enough to get in at this stage. Klaasens is almost assured as reserve wk. Markram is to good a talent to leave at home (however poor his form at the moment).

SeamUp

International Coach
Markram, Klaasens, Reeza..... nobody else has done enough to get in at this stage. Klaasens is almost assured as reserve wk. Markram is to good a talent to leave at home (however poor his form at the moment).
I wouldn't write off Miller and van der Dussen. Jonker just T20 for me (He doesn't play any Franchise FC cricket so I see BPL has signed him up early)

They may want someone who can cover top and middle order ?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't write off Miller and van der Dussen. Jonker just T20 for me (He doesn't play any Franchise FC cricket so I see BPL has signed him up early)

They may want someone who can cover top and middle order ?
I trust Klaasens over Miller, Duminy's form makes it he can back anywhere of 4 to 6, With Makram and/or Reeza covering 1-3.

Do you think Frylinck over Morris/Phehlukwayo is in their thinking ?
Not with the way Morris has started the season with a bang.... if he shows any sort of form it will likely be Andile and Morris as allrounders,. Still a big fan of Mulder going.

Amla, QDK, Markram, Faf, Duminy, Klaasens, Andile, Rabada, Steyn, Ngidi, Tahir. (long tail, but strongest team I think)

Reeza, Morris, Shamsi, Mulder/Miller.... Maharaj an outside chance.

This is my guess at the moment.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Do you think Frylinck over Morris/Phehlukwayo is in their thinking ?
Given that Phehlukwayo played every match against Zimbabwe, I think he's almost guaranteed to go, but I'd say that Frylinck is definitely worth considering for a second all-rounder spot. So maybe it will come down to a choice between him and Morris - I don't think Mulder is quite ready for limited overs cricket just yet.

SeamUp

International Coach
I trust Klaasens over Miller, Duminy's form makes it he can back anywhere of 4 to 6, With Makram and/or Reeza covering 1-3.

Not with the way Morris has started the season with a bang.... if he shows any sort of form it will likely be Andile and Morris as allrounders,. Still a big fan of Mulder going.

Amla, QDK, Markram, Faf, Duminy, Klaasens, Andile, Rabada, Steyn, Ngidi, Tahir. (long tail, but strongest team I think)

Reeza, Morris, Shamsi, Mulder/Miller.... Maharaj an outside chance.

This is my guess at the moment.
Given that Phehlukwayo played every match against Zimbabwe, I think he's almost guaranteed to go, but I'd say that Frylinck is definitely worth considering for a second all-rounder spot. So maybe it will come down to a choice between him and Morris - I don't think Mulder is quite ready for limited overs cricket just yet.
Is Andile safe though ? A bit like Miller, Shamsi, Morris to me. He was being hit by Zimbabwe. Still think he could do with a run of FC games especially for his batting.

I'm uncertain whether Miller makes it because right now he isn't in good form but Benkenstein will push for him and his record in WCs does favour him.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Is Andile safe though ? A bit like Miller, Shamsi, Morris to me. He was being hit by Zimbabwe. Still think he could do with a run of FC games especially for his batting.

I'm uncertain whether Miller makes it because right now he isn't in good form but Benkenstein will push for him and his record in WCs does favour him.
Andile has been relatively consistent on his bowling.... does not get enough opportunity as a batsmen to see how that is going, that is my biggest issue with his position in the team. Unfortunately I have not seen Miller finish off a tight game frequently enough. Great striker of the ball but gets out to often at critical times. Klaasens seems to have a better head on him.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Its up for debate. I think there is pros and cons for all these players. Miller was in great form for a long period and has a decent tournament performance record.

But I'm not sure who to take. Even Klaasen only has 1 50 at this stage. I think Australia is massive. We could have done with 5 games.

A guy on twitter gave me these stats on JP and Miller

JP
Averages under 30 against 5 of top 8 nations bar Windies (53), Australia (37), Pakistan (34)

SR is under 80 for all bar Australia (90)

At WC against top 8 nations he averages 15

In England
M 15 Runs 264 AVE 24 SR 72

Miller in England
M 8 AVE 62 SR 94

Miller averages under 30 against India & Pakistan
SR over 100 against all bar Pakistan

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Its up for debate. I think there is pros and cons for all these players. Miller was in great form for a long period and has a decent tournament performance record.

But I'm not sure who to take. Even Klaasen only has 1 50 at this stage. I think Australia is massive. We could have done with 5 games.
I don't think Millers form was that great... had a few good games. I'm always debating Duminy but since he gave up Tests and focused on the LO stuff been far far better, obviously recent form counts for that perception. But his extra bowling even if only 3 or 4 overs brings something extra. But ultimately Miller is meant to be a finishing no 6..... he has not done that job well in all the opportunities he has been given. Done better in a way at number 5 when given a chance to get in but that pushes Duminy down to 6 and that is no good. Ultimately with Faf and Duminy at 4 or 5. That leaves us looking for our best 6 and that pushes Klaasens ahead of Miller for me.... If only we had a guy named Abraham Benjamin still around.

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't think Millers form was that great... had a few good games. I'm always debating Duminy but since he gave up Tests and focused on the LO stuff been far far better, obviously recent form counts for that perception. But his extra bowling even if only 3 or 4 overs brings something extra. But ultimately Miller is meant to be a finishing no 6..... he has not done that job well in all the opportunities he has been given. Done better in a way at number 5 when given a chance to get in but that pushes Duminy down to 6 and that is no good. Ultimately with Faf and Duminy at 4 or 5. That leaves us looking for our best 6 and that pushes Klaasens ahead of Miller for me.... If only we had a guy named Abraham Benjamin still around.
That is why I'm not in the Markram and Reeza camp. I'm fine with letting them fight it out over 1 position in the squad. Miller or vd Dussen goes for me.

Miller was in very good form against Australia and Sri Lanka at home, Champions Trophy in England and Sri Lanka away. And the last WC.

These are his performances in England Champions Trophy 2013 & 17 & last years tour there. He comes out in a good way I think. That being said he also needs to show he still has got it but then so do others. I'm leaving him in my thoughts especially if others are there.

Cricket Records | Records | ICC Champions Trophy, 2017 - South Africa | | Batting and bowling averages | ESPNcricinfo

Cricket Records | Records | ICC Champions Trophy, 2013 - South Africa | | Batting and bowling averages | ESPNcricinfo

Cricket Records | Records | South Africa in England ODI Series, 2017 - South Africa | | Batting and bowling averages | ESPNcricinfo

2015 WC

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/icc-c...g_by_team.html?id=6537;team=3;type=tournament

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I can't believe I'm saying this because of the sight of him but I think I am leaning towards him.

His slower balls & variations are up there with the best. Convinced of it. He seems to do it season after season and then did well when he finally got an A chance in India.

He also has won quite a few games with his batting and his batting is very indoor cricket like slice backward of point. Awkward areas.

Could it back fire ? 100% :laugh:

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
It's a very interesting debate. Duminy in CURRENT form would be a lock, but he doesn't really have any stats to back him up does he? Frylinck is so good with his slower bowls as SeamUp says, and his batting is more dynamic than Andile and Morris imo. Andile has potential but it hasn't shone through with the bat at any level tbh. Morris has a clean technique, but the inconsistencies will always be there. The main question is if we are brave enough to pick Robbie?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Duminy did captain the side in Faf's absence, which suggests his place is secure. Granted, there weren't too many other options in the sides that they picked, but it would be a bit harsh to give him the captaincy and then discard him.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Personally my wc 15 is:

1.Qdk
2.Amla
3.Markram
4.Faf
5.Jp
6.Miller
7.Mulder
8.Andile
9.Steyn
10.Kg
11 Tahir
12.Klaasen
13.Ngidi
14.Shamsi
15.Reeza

the big bambino

International Captain
It seems Philander is completely out of the reckoning for the WC but is he still likely to be a main player in the test team? When are SA's next tests coming up? Is the likely bowling line up Steyn Rabada Philander and Maharaj or is Ngidi now replacing Philander?

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah Vern is probably one of the top three picks for SA in Tests. His bowling and batting at 8 is massive for us. I think Pakistan is up next in December. And then it's SL.